• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

holding down shift Does NOT keep lines straight, why?

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I keep lines straight? Used to be, holding down the "shift" key would keep lines straight, this no longer works, I'm going nuts trying to keep lines straight. Gah! If I drawa a strait line, neet to extend the line a tad, I drag out a point, the line goes wonky. I need it to be straight. Please help.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Hello s.mccrory,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Ton helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check your constrain angle in Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

zero degrees, the problem come to find out was with my preferences, deleted them and now everything is working correctly. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello s.mccrory,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Ton helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anubhav, I reset the preferences and now now contrain line segements is working with shift key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you continually keeping  the shift key depressed? Does this happen with both the pen tool and the line tool? What OS & do you have any third party OS or illustrator plug in software installed, even antivirus software once long ago conflicted with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something with my preferences was messed up, I reset them and now it's working. Yes, I would let go of the mouse before releasing the shift key. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show screenshots and describe exactly what you are doing using which tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you keeping the Shift key down and releasing the mouse button before releasing the Shift key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, my preferences were wonky so that is why it was not working. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

s,

In addition to what everyone has said, at first I also presumed that straight means horizontal (or vertical), because straight lines (or straight path segments) is easily made with the Pen Tool by just Clicking, and by ClickDragging with the Line Segment Tool.

In addition to or instead of holding Shift, you can also rely on Smart Guides to get horizontal/vertical/other directions.

Shift is about direction, not straightness.

But this has me in doubt:

"If I drawa a strait line, neet to extend the line a tad, I drag out a point, the line goes wonky."

If you drag out from the end Achor Point of a path with the Pen Tool you will merely create a Handle for a follwing path segment which can then be curved.

Are you using the Pencil Tool by any chance?

If you are, everything will be wonky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was my preferences, something was messed up, deleted them and now everything is working. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines