How can I add filling background to images like that in Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

As you can see in the image there is grey or black, in between that cat, which is empty space. 

I would like to fill that in with black how can I do this so it adds up to shape?

I was thinking filling it  black but also outline the complete cat with a dark line so it matches.

Or some sort of automation shape recognition to add a background fast?

I have a lot of images like that left over from a designer of my past, where I need to do this.

If you have video links, can explain or else

please let me know

thanks in advance

TOPICS
Draw and design , How to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show the outline view? Also I don't think I fully understand what you want to do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sergeant,

As I (mis)understand it, you can obtain the black filling and outlining so the cat appears the same on top of any background as follows (two alternative ways described):

You can either:

0) Create a pale/contrasting background and lock it if not already;

1) Select all the cat parts and Ctrl/Cmd+G to Group, then Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy to the front and lock the copy cat (which hides the original Group);

2) Click on the copy cat to select the original Group and apply a black fill and no stroke to it, then Ctrl/Cmd to turn it into a Compound Path;

3) Object>Path>Offset Path with a positive offset value that is sufficient to close all the gaps between the (locked) cat parts of the Compound Path, this will create a single larger path beneath the Offset Path;

4) Click on the copy cat to select the Compound Path and delete it so you just have the larger path, showing beyween and round the copy cat;

5) Object>Path>Offset Path with a smaller negative offset value that gives you the desired thickness of the outline round the copy cat which is the difference between the positive and negative offset values (for an outline of 2pt, the negative value needs to be 2pt less than the positive value), this will give you a smaller black path on top of the larger one;

6) Click the the larger black path (near the edge) and delete it;

7) Delete the pale/contrasting backgroundfrom 0).

You may need to try 3) and 5) a few times using Undo in between until you are satisfied.

Or as an alternative way, in order to more clearly work with the black shapes without the copy cat in 2) - 5), you can (without the pale/contrasting background:

1) Select all the cat parts and Ctrl/Cmd+G to Group, then Ctrl/Cmd+C+F to copy to the front and hide the copy cat;

2) Select the original Group and apply a black fill and no stroke to it, then Ctrl/Cmd to turn it into a Compound Path;

3) Object>Path>Offset Path with a positive offset value that is sufficient to close all the gaps between the cat parts of the Compound Path, this will create a single larger path beneath the Offset Path;

4) Click on the Compound Path and delete it so you just have the larger path, then show the copy cat;

5) Object>Path>Offset Path with a smaller negative offset value that gives you the desired thickness of the outline round the copy cat which is the difference between the positive and negative offset values (for an outline of 2pt, the negative value needs to be 2pt less than the positive value), this will give you a smaller black path on top of the larger one;

6) Click the the larger black path (near the edge) and delete it;

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option would be to group the cat together and add a stroke behind the group. Have the appearance palette open so you can click and drag the stroke below the word "Content" after adding the stroke. Increase the size of the stroke until spaces until it appears like you want. This is an easy fast way to get fill in the spaces if you are also wanting the stroke around the whole thing. The screenshot attached shows what I mean by clicking and draging the stroke line to be below the Content, when you first add the stroke, it appears above it. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines