• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I export pdf/ai from Adobe Illustrator that is not editable?

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I export pdf/ai from Adobe Illustrator that is not editable?

I want to send my file for printing and I don't want to give the original file. 
I tried exporting as high quality print without editing capabilities, as well as illustrator default and custom without editing capabilities, but there seems to be a problem with the design. 

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish , Sync and storage , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

There are a couple of "security" mechanisms that you may use to "protect" your drawings from being stolen by snoopy rapscallions (see the Security section in the Save as .pdf dialog or, in case you have it, in Adobe Acrobat).

That kind of pseudo protection may work sometimes.

Similar requests have been posted here many times. I'm always wondering why so often there apparently is some cause of distrust when delivering files to print providers that do you a favour with their craft.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanderella,

As Lutz said in your other thread, there is no completely safe way.

Maybe the closest you can get is to export in a raster format that supports CMYK (instead of RGB) at an adeaquate resolution for print (ask the printer), use the (most) relevant optimization (Type or Art).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of "security" mechanisms that you may use to "protect" your drawings from being stolen by snoopy rapscallions (see the Security section in the Save as .pdf dialog or, in case you have it, in Adobe Acrobat).

That kind of pseudo protection may work sometimes.

Similar requests have been posted here many times. I'm always wondering why so often there apparently is some cause of distrust when delivering files to print providers that do you a favour with their craft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know about favors. I pay good money for printing. And I generally trust the printers hear in the USA that I work with. But sometimes to make a project more affordable one may have to outsource abroad to companies that will steal and sell your designs in a heartbeat if you make it easy for them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I understand, Steve, but in the end that's just some kind of occupational hazard. Professional or semi-professional snatchers will almost always find a way to outfox the common security measures.

Thieveries may happen in any business. Just take a look at product piracy that is an issue worldwide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines