• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I prepare artwork for printing

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several hand drawn pictures that I want to be able to print on various substrates(wall hanging, cups, shirts) ..... I don't necessarily want to vectorize them but I'm open to suggestions. I'm using the current Illustrator mainly.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to 'vectorise' them, what exactly do you want to do? You could print raster versions and you wouldn't need to involve Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ferrari,

It is always a good plan to involve, or simply ask, the printer(s) in question who will be able to, and prefer to, tell you specifications including raster/vector and requirements to possible resolution of raster images/effects (at final size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Vector is great for printing on all the mentioned mediums especially as the files sizes remain relatively small compared to other programs, like Photoshop for example. 

Thanks,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to "vectorize" hand drawn pictures is to scan them and then either use Illustrator's Image Trace feature or use the scan as a template to actually redraw them using the drawing tools in Illustrator. The results with Image Trace tend to be very erratic and unpredictable and redrawing requires both skill with Illustrator's tools and actual drawing ability. So it seems like the best way to proceed is to make high resolution scans and print them out of Photoshop. If you don't actually have Photoshop you can place the scans in Illustrator and print directly out of there. You can also set up an InDesign document (if you have that program) and make a single multi-page document containing all of the drawings which can be sent to output all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answers......I'm currently working on purchasing an older Microsoft Surface Pro 4, so that I can actually "draw" them into my Illustrator program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd still check what the final output (printer) needs from you,

its great to learn new skills etc, but if you are currently using real life pens pencils, paint etc, it's going to give you a different look from that of pure vector work.

there are plenty of art apps on surface and ipad etc that do great vector work but its definitely a different style. and there are also great raster apps like procreate, that can lift your game (if like me youre not totally fantastic with real world media). allowing adjsutments and fixes, plus endless colours etc. but the result is raster, and as such youre still better off goign via photoshop / indesign for most stuff, rather than illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines