Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I bring back my tools panel?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I had Illustrator open, I moved my Mac's view to the widgets desktop. When I went back to the desktop that had Illustrator, the tools panel and other panels were missing. I went back to the widgets desktop and the panels were there!

I could not figure out how to get them back over to the correct desktop, so I closed them. Now, back in Illustrator, I can't figure out how to open them up again.

I'd like to go back to the default setting. Please help!

Thanks and God bless,

Scott Miller

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

To view the Illustrator toolbar, do the following:

Select Window > Workspace > Reset XXX (XXX = Name of the workspace you’re using). 

A - Toolbar                    B - Control BarA - Toolbar B - Control Bar

To view the top control bar, select Window > Control to display it on the screen.  

If you are unable to see a specific tool, please try the steps below until the issue is resolved: 

1. Select Window > ToolbarAdvanced . 
  2. Click the ellipsis (…) at the end of the toolbar. 
  3. Click the list icon in the top right cor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scottm777, From the top right corner of Illustrator, click on Essentials > Reset essentials. This should bring back all your tools and panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe how often I do some weird (wrong) keystroke, and end-up hiding or closing stuff. Always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to get stuff back. This is way easier... Will have to remember that one.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something happened (I hit god-knows-what-key) and all my tools disappeared. I had to stop everything to find a forum to come up with the solution. This is what I hate about Illustrator--everythingg is so darned counter-intuitive! "Adobe Frustrator" would be a better name for this app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jobro1  schrieb

Something happened (I hit god-knows-what-key) and all my tools disappeared. I had to stop everything to find a forum to come up with the solution. This is what I hate about Illustrator--everythingg is so darned counter-intuitive! "Adobe Frustrator" would be a better name for this app.

That has probably been the TAB key.

There's a documentation available and you can search it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I just got started, and had this problem. I could not go any further in learning this program, without this advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scottm777, you're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes hitting essentials is necessary as it iss the easiest way.

But if you have your panels all set up the way you want then you will ahve to do that all over.

So you should remmebr this, the three commans keyboard invoked actions that cause such problems are a s follows Command H is Hide Edges, Command Shift B is Hide Bounding Box and if hit the Tab key and do not have atrext string active the tools and panels will disappear hitting it again will bring them back. The previous two will also make the edges and bounding box visable as well if yoiu hit them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOUU!!! This helped me out as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same issue at the moment, i can not get the side bar on the left (with all the tools) on illustrator back down. i know its the layout of how its set up but i don't not how to set it up and get it back! any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already tried resetting the workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today after updating Illustrator CC 2015.  I tried resetting Essentials, but the layout panes simply flicker for a second (resetting) and then nothing happens (i.e. no palettes show up, and pressing F7, etc, does nothing).

The only way to access any of the palettes is to select a workspace other than "Essentials" (i.e. "Essentials" is essentially gone).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this workaround worked for me, although it's probably a bug:

1. Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials
  2. Window > Application Frame
  3. Window > Application Frame (yes, twice)

Note, however, if I go to "Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials" again while "Application Frame" is unchecked (under the "Windows" menu), all the palettes disappear again, and I have to go to "Window > Application Frame" again.  So, I have to leave "Application Frame" ON so that resetting will work.

It's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the double-reply.  These "Jive-powered" forums are super irritating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, man - this has been driving me up the bloody wall. The application frame brought the invisible panels back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE SO AMAZING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAVED MY LIFE! Reset Essentials never works for me & I feel like an idiot. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Superb – worked for me. This has been driving me NUTS, and I have brand new 2018 CC Illustrator. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to bring it back without resetting your whole workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Tools>Default"

You can also hit "Tab" to hide/show all floating panels, or "Shift+Tab" to hide/show all BUT the Tools Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2016 Apr 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Window > Tools > Default Side Bar

(this is how it is on Mac, sorry, but I am not sure about how to do it on Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Go to Windows> Tools and then click on to Default option. 

Now you are back to your default setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines