• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the color of a line segment, not the whole grouping of lines?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I have an outline, I need to only select part of the line to change the color, when I try to change the color it changes the color of not only the selected part, but also the entire group of lines. I only want to change what is circled:

SVG file also attached.

jakchelp.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may split the paths with the Scissors tool and recolour as desired.

Or you can make a Live Paint group for flexible adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the scissor tool, it still seems to have an issue, there are points that seperate the line from the other segments, however it still changes the whole group of lines.

Does the live paint tool maintain the paths? I am lasercutting with this, so I need to ensure the paths are just single lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cooper,

"I am lasercutting with this, so I need to ensure the paths are just single lines."

I wonder whether this calls for another solution that leaves the original paths as they are, or is just silly/unusable, but you might:

1) Starting with nothing selected, click the path segment in question with the Direct Selection Tool (hold Shift and click each path segment if more than one),

2) Hold Ctrl/Cmd and press C then F then X then F to bring a copy to the front as a separate path (set if more than one, and in that case also Join or Group them),

3) Change the colour as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines