• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the ppi to dpi in AI CS6?

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the ppi to dpi in AI CS6?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Hi Tracey,

If it's all vector, you should not worry about the print resolution. I completely agree with Monika in this context.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WorkFlowWise  wrote

. . . the original question did make sense to me . . .

Be that as it may, the premise of the original question doesn't apply to anything real. The OP was mislead by misuse of terms and the resultant mistaken impression that there must be a direct conversion to make between ppi and dpi. There isn't. (I would note, however that despite the T-rob's original post stemming from inexperience, the question on its face was quite astute, based on the apparent and correct realization that ppi and dpi must be different.)

Outlook uses Word-technology to compress images before sending an email and rerenders the image upon delivery.

This question is extremely relevant if you're trying to send an image as part of an email and most of your subscribers use Outlook desktop. Outlook can only handle 96 DPI. If an image is more or less than that, the backward software will re-render the image in 96 DPI.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure whether that applies to anything real either. I understand you may have researched it to the extent that you know something I don't. In any case, there are many routines, email and otherwise, under which files are packed and later unpacked in one way or another. And, if you're sending broadcast emails that contain embedded images and HTML to "subscribers" using an email client (Outlook), as the send platform, as the reference to "Word-technology," together with the subsequent characterizations imply, your methods will prove ineffective in other ways well beyond image resolution.

Even if the stuff about Outlook is true, I still don't see a correlation between it and the mistaken impression that one must somewhere convert ppi to dpi in order to deliver an image of adequate resolution from Adobe Illustrator. What's more, in the statements above you continue misusing the term DPI as a unit of image resolution.

All that said, I've used Outlook as a primary desktop email client for a few decades and very rarely see a perceptible lapse of image quality in marketing emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP never responded to any of the provided answers; Unless a different username was used. So my assumption was that, perhaps, he encountered a problem that was real. Until the OP responds, we don't know what his thought process was 😉

Below quote is based on falls assumptions, so I'll try to clarify underneath because I do believe this is an important discussion for anyone sending lots of (automated) emails professionally. It is also relevant to Photoshop or Illustrator users that deal with imagery created for emails.

John Mensinger wrote:

That's interesting, but I'm not sure whether that applies to anything real either. I understand you may have researched it to the extent that you know something I don't. In any case, there are many routines, email and otherwise, under which files are packed and later unpacked in one way or another. And, if you're sending broadcast emails that contain embedded images and HTML to "subscribers" using an email client (Outlook), as the send platform, as the reference to "Word-technology," together with the subsequent characterizations imply, your methods will prove ineffective in other ways well beyond image resolution.

The problem is this: Microsoft Outlook uses the same code that Microsoft Word uses to render images. This is code (technology) that was first used in 1993 with the release of Word 6.0 and is very much used today as the basis for Outlook to send and receive images. Thought the latest version of Outlook is actually somewhat better and supports more image types, it doesn't really matter because millions of people worldwide (that use Outlook) still use older versions of the desktop client.

The problem is described below by people much smarter than me and also in search of a solution on Litmus.com (an online email platform like MailChimp):

Setting a PixelsPerInch value of the following in Outlook 2007 will yield the following results:

125% scaling:

• 72 - Enlarges images a lot
  • 96 - Enlarges images slightly
  • 120 - Images are displayed at the correct size

100% scaling (Normalised DPI):

• 72 - Enlarges images by a lot
  • 96 - Images displayed at the correct size
  • 120 - Shrinks images (lol what?)

Can you spot what's wrong here? I smell a bug in Outlook 2007...

The completely backwards image scaling factor difference between 100% scaling and 125% scaling means you can't fix this problem. Because whichever way you go, you will break the appearance for either the normal DPI audience or the higher DPI audience.

I ran a test with two conditional statements for Outlook, setting a PixelPerInch value of 120 PPI for Outlook 2007 and 96 PPI for 2010/2013 and while that works, this will now break the layout for any normal DPI client who views it Outlook 2007 as images will appear smaller than there original size, as you reported originally in your post on the Campaign Monitor forums.

In short, varying email clients respond differently to imaging and this is something that you need to take into account when sending emails. This includes Gmail, which, for example, doesn't support SVG.

We send emails to thousands of subscribers using HubSpot, not Outlook or mail-merge in Word (not sure how that got into the mix). The data I get from opened emails is that more than 60% use different iterations of Outlook desktop. And that's where the correlation between DPI and PPI begins (albeit indirectly). And why it is a real problem for anyone (professionally) occupied with mass email broadcast or the creation of images for these emails.

So perhaps there is no real correlation in the sense that you can't swap a bucket of DPI for an equivalent worth of PPI, there is a real problem that creates a correlating effect. That said, adding to the confusion is the range of "DPI PPI calculators" to be found online.

This is why I think the question is valid, even though the correlation seems indirect to the Adobe community. It is also a problem that persists, frustratingly.

Thank you for this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry WFW, if you have a point, I'm still missing it.

And that's where the correlation between DPI and PPI begins . . .

What is "where the correlation begins"?

DPI commonly refers to the number of ink dots a printer applies to a substrate. What does that have to do with images in Outlook emails, or any emails, or OS scaling settings, or anything in your last post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think all WorkFlowWise really needs to know is that, wherever he's read DPI, they meant PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

But why Illustrator show resolution/size in PPI, not in DPI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact is, as in many other things, the terms being argued about have simply been used inconsistently; by users, by printers, and even by software vendors. So it's incumbent upon the designer to have at least an upper-level concept of the physical processes involved in order to discern the actual meaning from the specific context. But it's not rocket science.

Pixels Per Inch should be self-explanatory. A raster image is basically a string of color values arranged in a rectangular array. Each pixel (picture element) is just a data placeholder for a color value, usually (but not necessarily) rendered as a square. So it has no inherent size. (Runaway confusion has resulted from software vendors treating "Pixels" as if it is an actual unit of linear measure in the rulers of object-based graphics programs.) A pixel is actually infinitely scalable. So you have to specify the overall size of the image as a scaling factor. That's the "per inch" (or other linear unit of measure) part. It's a scaling value, and it is required to say anything meaningful about the measurable "size" of a raster image.

Dots Per Inch is far and away the most ambiguous term, having for so long been applied (and misapplied) to just about everything, because it's often the only term a speaker is even familiar with. It has for decades been used (and misused) interchangeably with, and instead of, PPI. Frankly, it should be abandoned, especially when the meaning is important, as in stating printing requirements. (Even though those stated requirements are often not really optimal.)

Lines Per Inch. Graphics, of course, quite often involve regions which vary in color. Litho printing devices normally don't print anything by physically laying down "smears" or "blends" of solid ink. The press simply either prints ink or prints no ink. So continuous-tone graduations and uniform tints (both of which can be required by either raster or vector elements) have to be simulated by printing an array of small dots of solid ink. (again, each dot in a given place on the page is either ink or "no ink." There is no "partial ink.")

That process of conversion to dots of ink is historically called screening because, long before computers, the high-contrast film used to expose the printing plates was itself exposed while in vacuum contact with a film (called a halftone screen or a tint screen) through which the original image of the photo or artwork (which is either continuous-tone or line-art) was projected on the process camera in the litho darkroom.

(So much confusion among beginning digital designers could be cleared up by a solid understanding of the differences between contone and line art. Unfortunately, you seldom hear those terms nowadays.)

Although nowadays, with computers, screening can be accomplished either by varying the sizes of uniformly-spaced dots (AM screening, borrowing the term Amplitude Modulation from wave dynamics) or inversely by varying the spacing of uniformly-sized dots (FM screening, borrowing the term Frequency Modulation) halftone screening is still most common and is still specified in terms of LPI.

Spots Per Inch. Here's another conceptual key that clears up a lot of confusion, not just about the various acronyms, but about the matter of printer resolution: Whether you are talking about AM dots (halftone screening) or FM dots (stochastic screening) each of those tiny screen dots is built up from much tinier spots of actual ink (or toner or whatever). These are the "dots" which the printing device really prints. They are all the same size. They are, in other words, the smallest mark the printing device can make on the page, and all larger marks are built up from them. That's why SPI is the term that should be used when you are talking about the actual resolution of the printing device, not DPI because, as explained, DPI has been so irreversibly overused for all kinds of things for too many decades.

Levels of Gray. Because halftone dots are made up of printer spots, the count of different sizes of halftone dots that a given printing device can print is a function of how many printer spots are available to render the dot. That count is how many levels of gray the given device can render at a given halftone ruling. That's why you see (and beginners are distraught over) banding in low SPI devices, like 600 SPI laser printers, that won't be a problem on a 2540 SPI imagesetter. It's also why buyers are often misled by manufacturer's stated resolution of desktop devices, like inkjet printers. ("Egads! 1440 DPI! And just 300 PPI is 'perfect'! What a miracle! What a deal!" Those 1440 are printer spots, and the screening method is usually FM, not AM.

Each halftone dot is made up of printer spots (SPI). The square array of pixels of a raster image is scaled to size (PPI) and spread across the array of lines of halftone dots (LPI), and the color values of the scaled pixels are averaged across that region of the page to determine the size of each halftone dot for each ink color.

Contrary to some misconception, everything--be it a raster image or a vector-based path--ultimately becomes one page-size raster image. (That's why it's called a RIP; Raster Image Processor.) The difference between raster resolution dependence and vector resolution independence is not whether it will be rasterized, but when.

By definition, the rasterization of raster images already exists when the raster image is created, so its "grid" is effectively "overlaid" onto the halftone grid and the printer spot grid of the device. So sharpness is dependent upon how the pixels are scaled and how those various "overlaid" grids correspond. The rasterization of vector-based graphics is deferred until print time. So vector-based graphics have no raster resolution until they are printed. They print at the actual appropriate resolution of whatever printing device(s) to which they are sent.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are dpi<->ppi converters on the web? So there are, just as there are RGB<->CMYK converters put up by people who nothing about the subject but know how to count clicks, and know that people who know no more than they do go looking for fantasy information... Here is something from the first dpi<->ppi converter I found:

Well, that should come in handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people believe PPI is the correct name, but some people call it DPI for the same thing. Illustrator is right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines