• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i connect these objects to make a square?

New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dsadsadsad.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple ways to go about it.

You can use the Direct Selection tool to drag the anchor points on the ends of those dashes to overlap the white gaps. Use the shift key to constrain horizontal and vertical movement when dragging. Then use the Unite function in the Pathfinder palette to weld over the overlapping paths.

Another method: break apart that compound path (Object>Compound Path>Release) and/or Ungroup it. Sometimes both has to be done. Hold down the Shift and Alt/Option keys to drag new copies of the straight dashes to fill the gaps. Then use the Unite command to weld the objects.

Another approach (probably more time consuming): use the Direct Selection tool to select all the anchor points next to the gaps and then use the Cut command (scissors icon) to break open the paths. Ungroup the results. Delete the half circle path segments of those paths. Span the open line gaps by selecting the anchor points at each gap with the Direct Selection tool and using the Join command (Ctrl/Command+J).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Endas, hi.

A super simple way would be draw out your rectangle, give it a Stoke weight with Round Cap and Round Join.

Then Object>Path>Outline.

Now you have Fills.

Same as your example all connected.

K

Screen 01.pngScreen 02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much quicker just to draw a new square with rounded corners... (Rounded Rectangle Tool)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a starting over from scratch method, in a quick and dirty fashion. If the original poster wants to make an exact duplicate of the existing object it will still have to be broken apart to take note of the line thickness as well as the roundness of the corners. My first two suggestions (out of 3) don't take more than a few seconds to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you all so much for answering! what i am actually trying to do is to connect all the dots of this pants pattern that i want to send to clo3d. while i didnt know how to do it, i just traced each piece with pen tool, it worked, but i wanted to find a quick way to do this.dsadsadasd.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Endas,

I believe the real solution, at least going forward, is to keep (a copy of) the original artwork as simple paths (with Dashed line), then simply unticking Dashed line to get the full line; you can Outline Stroke (again) for that, if you must.

Why go from the simple (Dashed line) Stroke to filled paths in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It always helps us when you post an example that does resemble the actual task as closely as possible.

Also it helps to know how exact the result should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select them all and group them.

Apply the Effect > Convert to shape > Rectangle with 0 

Expand appearance

Reading the other answers -> this might not be the kind of square you want to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines