• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create and airbrush or spray paint effect or stroke in Illustrator.

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to recreate a painted image in illustrator. The painted image was airbrushed. I am try to recreate this image as a vector. Huge project, which I regret taking on, but I am in it now and need to create some strokes or highlights on the image with a spray can or airbrush. I am unable to find any suitable brushes and the defaults that came with Illustrator have no spray or airbrush like brushes.

I need a simple and fast solution that looks like a stroke painted by an airbrush. If anyone can help me I would be grateful.

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for stipple brushes.

They will be scatter brushes and they will create a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of anchor points in your file. If you have less than 64 GB of RAM, you will most likely really regret taking on that project. It just doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you look at my project and possibly make a suggestion. I am attaching a pdf with the original painted image above and my attempt at a manually built vector version below. I have written some notes on the pdf. Any help would be appreciated.Lightening-Rig-working.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me this looks totally like a Photoshop job. Not that you couldn't build it in Illustrator using Gaussian blurs and overlays and gradients and what not. But it would not be fun at all, take way more time and still not look like the Photoshop thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn’t there use to be an airbrush tool in illustrator? That’s what I am
trying to recreate.--
*Thank You,*
Gerrit/Robert McLean

*The Gorilla Graffix Group*

(personal details removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no airbrush tool in Illustrator. Maybe you are referring to the symbol sprayer tool, but it won't give you airbrush paint either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is noAirbrush Brushes per say in Illustrator . You can try creating an art brush and add blending modes and effect... take lots of memory

Here are some examples...They Vector art brushes with Effet and blendingScreenshot 2023-08-17 at 12.42.39 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-17 at 12.41.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 12.44.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines