• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I crop an image with a Clipping Mask using a circle instead of a rectangle?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched Adobe TV Illustrator's tutorial about cropping images with a clipping mask. In the video, the presenter uses the rectangle tool with the clipping mask, and makes a reference that the circle or vector shape could be used, but I cannot figure out how to get the circle. 

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-illustrator-cs6/cropping-images-with-clipping-masks/

I'm new to Illustrator and need step by step instructions!

Thanks!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

This is tutorial how to make a clipping mask in illustrator,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

senterwife,

For a Clipping Mask, you just create a path, in this case a circle, and place it on top of the image, then select both and Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

To get the circle, ClickHold on top of the Rectangle Tool button, then click the Ellipse Tool in the flyout; you can CldikDrag with Shift held to get a circle, or just click and insert W and H values, then drag into place.

As mentioned by Erica, you may also create another kind of path (with the pen Tool or whatever) and use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

The ClickHold did the trick!!

Where do I ClickDrag with Shift held to get a circle?

Christine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christine,

Where do I ClickDrag with Shift held to get a circle?

Anywhere on the Artboard/Workspace (once you have selected the Ellipse Tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it!!

And I have my circle, but when I click on Object/Create Clipping Mask, a popup comes up with "Can't make clipping mask. The selection must contain more than one object."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select both the circle and the object you want masked and then use Cmd(Ctrl)-7 to create the Clipping Mask. Oh, and the circle has to be in front of the object in the stacking order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it!!

Thanks for the help!! I have successfully performed my first Mask!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is tutorial how to make a clipping mask in illustrator,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christine,

As Larry said, and as I said in the first post:

For a Clipping Mask, you just create a path, in this case a circle, and place it on top of the image, then select both and Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

You can see the shortcut when you use the dropdown; it is Ctrl+7 for Windows.

At least in the old days, you could also use Alt/Option+O+M+M (easy to remember, Object>Mask>Make).

It is easy to skip/overlook the exact steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines