• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I embed editable fonts in my files?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a client on multiple .ai files which include fonts that they will want to edit in the future. I'm saving these files in Adobe Cloud and the files they receive has missing fonts. How would I save a file with the font already inbedded, whereas they won't need to download the font separately? Is this a possible solution?

PS. For reference, these are Pinyon and Inter from Google and Gotham. I've also tried to upload the fonts in Adobe Cloud, but it doesn't receive .ttf or .otf files. 

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

You can't embed editable fonts in a PDF. Adobe stopped it, for legal reasons.  (In fact, the font makers threatened Adobe: stop that, because our font licenses don't allow editing without licensing the font. If you don't stop it, we'll block all our fonts from use in PDF for reading. PDF would have died.). 
You simply need to agree fonts with your client, and they need to license them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google fonts are available to everyone, so they should download it/them.

You didn't hear this from me, and it's purely hearsay anyway (someone told someone who told me), but you could do a package and collect all the fonts, zip the folder and send them that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Met1, but unfortunately a zip file is also not supported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Huh? It's on every computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saving AIC files? Or AI files in your CC folder?

In any way: you cannot make fonts available for others. You'll probably have to educate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saving them as .ai files. Yeah I've figure that may be the best solution. I tried to explain that it isn't an option due to some legal rights and such. Apparently, they've been able to upload another font into the cloud, but it's a font from dafont.com. Nevertheless, I appreciate the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't embed editable fonts in a PDF. Adobe stopped it, for legal reasons.  (In fact, the font makers threatened Adobe: stop that, because our font licenses don't allow editing without licensing the font. If you don't stop it, we'll block all our fonts from use in PDF for reading. PDF would have died.). 
You simply need to agree fonts with your client, and they need to license them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines