• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I find out HEX codes of colors I used in my gradient?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all:

I have a simple Illustrator problem, but I cannot find the answer online or in the Adobe Forums.

I made a gradient, but I do not know the HEX color codes I used for the colors. Unfortunately, you cannot double click the color swatches on the gradient pallete to open the color picker. Meanwhile, the gradient pallete does not identify the colors in use (the colors one has placed there). Does anyone know how to find out what colors have been placed on the gradient pallete when you forget?

Thank you so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2008 Apr 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Gradient Palette: Click the color stop.

2. Tap the < key.

3. DoubleClick the current Fill color in either Color Palette or the Fill/Stroke icon at the bottom of the main toolbox.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, talk about a hidden feature. Thanks so much. This helped me. Adobe's adherence to UX best practice is egregious. uxfail​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juliem18359647 wrote:

Wow, talk about a hidden feature. Thanks so much. This helped me. Adobe's adherence to UX best practice is egregious. uxfail

Why not just double click the color stop?

It will give you the values instantly (unless you are working with a version from 8 years ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough; I'd also expect to see the hex code in cmyk views, not just rgb. Any reason they're in one view and not the others?

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 1.41.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 1.46.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Hex code is another (Web) way of describing RGB values.

It makes no sense to have them next to CMYK values because they change and depend on your color management settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using adobe illustrator for about a decade now; bless me if I realized that this was the case--it has never mattered before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What a treat! and thank you for being so straight forward on this. so refreshing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Talk about hidden features...

How did you figure that one out, James?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the tooltip on the associated icon:

JET ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh.

(LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thank you so much. And, sorry for my delay in thanking you. This has helped me a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines