• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i move center of radial gradient?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2005 Nov 29, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a circle with a radial gradient going from purple on the outside to white at the center (a grape). How do I get the white center to move someplace other than the center? It was easy in Freehand... can't find any clues in the Help file.

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy in AI, too; just different.

Select the Gradient Tool. ClickDrag on the object.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed--Freehand is an oldie but goodie--is ancient but it had and has it over Illustrator for intuitivity--Illustrator is poerful but it has geek written all over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're as easily amused as I am, try this too. This is a little weird to a FH-accustomed mind, but it's kinda cool:

1. Draw several objects arranged in a row. Apply the same gradient to each.
2. Select them all. Now ClickDrag across them with the Gradient Tool. The gradient will span across the separate paths.
3. Move one of the middle objects. Its "portion" of the grad moves with it.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2005 Nov 30, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK- that works. Thank you. I'm a little disappointed I couldn't get the answer to such a basic question from the Help file. It's probably in there- just buried.

I still like the way FreeHand does it better. Oh well- it's an Illustrator world now. I'll get used to it.

And it is kind of weird how the portion of the gradient moves with object-- but if you make all the objects a compound path and apply the gradient to that, then the gradient changes as you move the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2005 Nov 30, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Note that if you want to change where the center color starts without changing where the outside diameter goes, you should click with the Gradient Tool instead of dragging.

If you think of a radial gradient as being similar to a blend between two circles, a drag sets the radius of the outer circle, and a click sets the center of the inner circle. (Clicking outside the outer circle will force the highlight inside so that the inner circle fits within the outer one.)

James,

If you either make your three circles into a compound path, or if you group them and apply the gradient to the group (using the Add New Fill command when the group is the Appearance target), then moving any component will keep the entire gradient spanning the entire group or compound path. But if the individual paths are targeted, then as you've observed, they each independently keep their own chunk of the gradient.

So Illustrator provides a way to get whichever behavior is preferred for a specific illustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2005 Dec 15, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Teri, I have moved my question to the Illy forum. I just realized why I had not not seen this thread until you linked to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To apply the same gradient to several objects (say a row of letters) make a compound path of them before applying the gradient.

That way the gradient keeps aligned even thought you move one of the objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTE: 8 year old thread dug up from the basement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dug up again almost 5 years later..... A child born when this thread started would be at high school and have a casual job. I'm so old... This thread started on my birthday too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was born in 2005. I'm in university

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Welcome to the birthday thread, Noah.

And welcome this friendly and helpful place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines