• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I prevent symbol icons from changing color?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022-11-10_23-04.png

I want to use my symbol as white but then I cannot see the symbol icon because its background is white.

So I store the symbol as black, and after placing it I change its fill color to white.

The issue is that its icon also changes color, from black to white, but I only want my sumbols to change colors, not their icons in the symbols tab.

Is there any solution to this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how do you change the color?

Because it's the whole point of symbols that they synchronize.

But since this is a dynamic symbol, you could change the color in a specific way. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/symbols.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The goal of doing this for me is to try to browse for my svg shapes within Illustrator, so I wouldn't need to switch window to Bridge every time I want to bring in a new shape in my designs.

Because I only need brushes, swatches and svgs for my magazine design, the rest is just text and images.

No matter that I change the color by isolating the svg and changing its fill color or by isolating it and then invert colors, the symbol icon will also change colors.

The icon shouldn't turn white because then I can't see it on its white background.

Once I stored an svg shape at my symbols, I can reuse that shape in any color I want, so the symbol icon shouldn't be changing colors after imported to the symbols. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the color change of the symbol icon is temporary, so I don't know what is the point of it.

Because after I am done and I export my SVG (for use in inDesign) and I close Illustrator, and I re-open my Print.ai, the symbol icon color is changed back to its original color with wich it was imported with.

But while I am working with my symbols, they icons colors shouldn't change because I cannot see white shapes on white backgrounds.

If you confirm this is an issue, I will report it as a feature request/bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way are there other ways of storing my svg shapes in Print.ai than symbols?

I am trying to be able to select my shapes from within Illustrator so that I don't have to switch to Bridge, and I don't want to store my assets on Adobe cloud, but on OneDrive and Google Cloud, so I am not using the Adobe Cloud storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines