• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I take a jpeg of a map and convert it to a line drawing in Illustrator. The resolution is 300dpi. Is there another way other than live trace?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to convert 10 maps that I have in form of jpeg files. Trying to look for a quick way to convert them to vectors. So attempted to use the Live Trace tool but lost over 75% of the information. Is there another technique to extract this information on Illustrator. I need the lines to be of good quality as I will be rescaling them to an appropriate size.

Also how do you rescale an image on Illustrator?

Would appreciate anyones help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend trying out different settings in trace to see if that helps you get a better result.

If not, then you could use your maps as a template to draw over with either the pencil tool (which will let you redraw segments easily) or pen tool. Here is some more information on the drawing tools:  How to draw with the Pen, Pencil, or Flare tool in Illustrator 

Double-click on the original map layer and select Template to have it lock the layer and dim it to 50%.

And here is some more information on the scale tool:  How to scale, shear, and distort objects in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution settings tells us nothing. 300 ppi can be applied to an image that is just 4 by 6 pixels.

You you might want to show us screenshots of before and after tracing. I would assume that image quality just is not sufficient. Apart from that Illustrator has issues with autotracing black and white images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Native in Ai I would use the Image Trace or use the map as a template and re-draw the entire illustration. You can use image trace several times to target specific areas. Layer 1 adjust image trace settings to get a good trace of the background or larger areas. Layer 2, bring in the image again, image trace and adjust image trace settings to get a good trace of the lines or details. Add additional layers as needed. You can also use Ps to make color adjustments to your image and get a better trace.

Aside from that, I heard there is software outside of Adobe that can get you some good vector trace results. I haven't used any so I can't recommend any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines