• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do we hyperlink only a few words in a text block in Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to only add a hyperlink to a few words in a sentence without adding the hyperlink to the entire text block?

Hyperlinking Objects in Illustrator.jpg

Thanks to a recent update, I can use the Attributes window to add a hyperlink to a selected object, even a block of text. What I am looking for is a way to add a hyperlink to a string of words within that text, instead of hyperlinking the entire text box.

I know that a workaround would be to create an invisible shape—layered above the selected words—and add the hyperlink to that instead, but if there is an integrated method I'd love to learn about it.

Thanks for your time.

TOPICS
Feature request , How-to , Import and export , Print and publish , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than the hack you already mentioned: no, it's not possible. Use Acrobat for creating links in PDFs. Or create layouts in InDesign and make links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, highlight text and use Window >> Interactive >>Hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, highlight text and use Window >> Interactive >>Hyperlink.

By @Mike_Gondek

Will this allow me to copy hyperlinked text from InDesign and paste it into text boxes in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expanding on the suggestion by @Mike_Gondek, could you use InDesign? Place any Illustrator graphics into InDesign and format your text within InDesign where you will have greater control and formatting options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know that InDesign is far superior over Illustrator when it comes to creating print documents and their digital counterparts. However, the nature of my freelance work sometimes means using the client's existing .AI templates to produce their desired deliverables.

I have had success in porting over some of the earlier templates into InDesign for a fee, but sometimes the nature of the project does not leave room in the budget or timeline for that.

In this instance, I used my previously mentioned workaround this time to finish the project in a timely manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines