• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you select color from outside of Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, does anyone know what happened to the color selector in Illustrator? In Photoshop, you can sample a color from anywhere outside of the app window by clicking and dragging with the eyedropper tool. I know you used to be able to do it in Illustrator too, but now it doesn't seem to be working. I tried googling the answer, but all I get are about a hundred people showing how to do it in 2012, 2013. Nothing newer than that, which leads me to believe that they much have changed something in a recent version of Ai. Not sure how to do it now. Basically, what I need to know is, How do you select color from outside of Illustrator these days? I have the most current version - Ai CC 2015.3 I believe.

Thanks much!

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

My guess is yes. I'm on a Mac, but testing everything that isn't working for you and it's working just fine, including colors from browser windows and my desktop background.

I just booted up my Surface (Win 10) and am getting the same results that you are describing. It could be a Windows limitation or a bug, but either way you can report it here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form​.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

You have to set permissions to allow Illustrator to record your screen, as that's what it needs to do to sample outside itself.

Not sure on PC, but on Mac, it's under System Preferences > Security & Privacy, and then under the Privacy tab, you can select which apps you'd like to allow to "record"  the screen outside their app window.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Windows 10 , adobe illustrator cc 2017. Any workaround ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

print screen button - hit paste - eye dropper, delete screen grab...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eh... unfortunately, I think this is the best way to do this - you're right. I wish it worked the other way. Bummer.

Thanks though!

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, you can't use the eyedropper when you open the color picker.  But you CAN simply select an object, then just press "i" and the eyedropper will appear.  Click anywhere it and will populate the swatch on the toolbar with the color you selected and turn whatever object you selected that color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but I figured out the problem and here is my story:

1. I had two monitors connected to my desktop PC.

2. One of the monitors was connected to my High-end Graphic Card and the other was connected to the integrated graphic on the motherboard.

3. Whenever I grabbed the eye dropper and dragged it over the monitor which was connected to the GPU, everything worked fine.

4. As soon as I turned to the monitor with the integrated Graphic, I would only get black (sometimes white), no matter what I drag over.

5. So the solution is if you are on a multiple monitor setup, then keep to the monitor your Illustrator is open on.

I had no such issues in Photoshop though, and everything works fine there. In other words. this is an Illustrator problem only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same issue as original poster in AI 2021. Using eyedropper tool, I click within AI and then drag to an outisde window (image loaded in Safari) and despite hovering over a pink color, the eyedropper tool stays a dark grey. Frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Illustrator have the necessary privileges to record the screen in the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set permissions to allow Illustrator to record your screen, as that's what it needs to do to sample outside itself.

Not sure on PC, but on Mac, it's under System Preferences > Security & Privacy, and then under the Privacy tab, you can select which apps you'd like to allow to "record"  the screen outside their app window.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out how to do this on PC? I am unable to color sample from the web still and have tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this is already in the manty answers, but did you try to hold down the Shift key while using the Eyedropper?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using google chrome if that makes a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot check that (Mac), maybe use some workaround as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines