• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How the create a particular shape (without using the image trace feature)

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellas,

I need to reproduce the shape from the image below but the "feathers" part is killing me. I do know the rotate tool but that works for even shapes, in here they grow with mantaining the same space between them. They only solution I came up with was to create the shape straight and then apply the arc feature but that does not do it.

If you have a different approch on this, kindly share it.

Thanks in advance!

01.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Piter, Hi

Here I used Blend Steps.

Expand Blend Steps

Ungroup. Alignment panel> Even space distribute.

Add a rectangle behind.

Pathfinders >Unite

Select the inside anchors, give them a small radius corner.

Make Pattern Brush.

Apply it to a Path.

KPat brush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on what you already have.

Some simple pathfinder operations may do it, but there are probably other ways as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt, this is my progress. As I stated before, the "feathers" are the complicated part for me. I can create them evenly by using the rotate feature but I need them to increase size while maintaining the separation size between them and keeping the same amount.

01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are thinking to positive lol.

start with a solid shape and use lines to cut out the shapes...:

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.01.15.jpgScreenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.02.51.jpgScreenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.03.27.jpgScreenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.03.46.jpgScreenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.04.16.jpgScreenshot 2021-10-18 at 10.05.31.jpg

to round the corners select all round or for a more organic look do them individually, copy and flip vertically as need be to complete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate you taking the time for this, but I went with the pattern option below. Yours was really close, but as the circles are not centered the shapes look a bit distorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piter, Hi

Here I used Blend Steps.

Expand Blend Steps

Ungroup. Alignment panel> Even space distribute.

Add a rectangle behind.

Pathfinders >Unite

Select the inside anchors, give them a small radius corner.

Make Pattern Brush.

Apply it to a Path.

KPat brush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was definitely the approach that worked better for me. The only difference is that I created the rectangles with the same height, and also reduced the bottoms evenly like this:

01.png

And this is the final result:

02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I could help. 😀

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some great solutions, but they're all very precise and refined, your original image is not, apart from the reflected image, no two teeth are the same shape (similar, but not a scaled or altered clone of another).

Just curious why the image trace is a none starter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, cause that's what I needed, to make it more precise and even as the original is too messy. Making the shape from 0 is better and faster than having to fix the image trace as not even the rouding in the corner is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines