• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add data labels on a stacked bar chart in Illustrator?

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I add data labels on a stacked bar chart on Illustrator? I have a chart of 7 bars, each has 3 - 5 values inside the bar (makes a total of 100%). I've googled the s**t out of google and can't seem to find an answer. Manual work is not an option.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please refer to this similar discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-archive/illustrator-get-data-labels-on-front-of-stacked-b...

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same question and this thread placed first in Google. Unfortunately when I try to click through the link I get "access denied" despite being a longtime subscriber. 

This is a great example of why it's not helpful to point to another thread when you can just answer the question directly. Who knows what will place well and what will be unavailable in years to come. 

Thanks to the participants who actually took the time to do so to give me direction with my googling. Adobe customer support continues to underwhelm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great example of why it's not helpful to point to another thread when you can just answer the question directly.

By @briand3565135

The thing is: with a lot of threads you cannot. Threads can go on for multiple pages and discuss the pros and cons of several different ways of doing something. You cannot summarize that in a new answer.

The forum has been moved to a different platform since. And regardless of how long you are a subscriber, the content is just not there.

Just describe your own setup and what exactly you want to achieve and a lot of people will be eager to think about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do precisely the same thing as the OP, which is how I happened upon this thread to begin with. 

I suspected there might be an answer that could be summarized in a few bullet points and fortunately LynxKx provided a technique that works for me. No elaborate discussion or internet sleuthing needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome! I'm so glad it was helpful for you! I've done a bunch with charts so if you have issues with anything, let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The documentation shows some rather elaborate designs, but if you scroll down you'll see how to add text to the graph: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/graphs.html#adding_pictures_and_symbols_to_graphs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the link above showing you how make column designs. I figured out how to make the labels centered in the bars. 

• Create column design with the text frame the same size as the bar you designed and center align the text, ensure you have a paragraph style assigned to that text (Very Important: DO NOT assign a graphic style to the text frame when creating the column design.)
  • group select the desired bars > assign the column design to the relevent bars using vertically scale, then when finished, use your group selection tool to select the groups of bars and click the paragraph style to clear the overrides, this will fix the distortion of the numbers. if the numbers stay distorted, you likely had a graphic style assigned to the text frame when you created the column design.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 4.12.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful. Wonder if there's a way to add a percent symbol after each label (i.e. instead of it reading 10 on the bar, it would read "10%")? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and no ... The only way i've been able to do this is by entering the % manually ...

if you have a bunch of charts that you want to update all at once, theres a script i use that will add percent signs to the numbers (it works best if you have a paragraph style assigned to them). Additionally, the script only works if you break the chart from a chart, so I'll save a separate working file, ungroup the affected charts and then run the script and all the charts I ungrouped will have the percent added to the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in case you want to try, this one uses script on numbers with paragraph styles "data_bars_right" and "data_bars_cntrd" ... 

var myDoc = app.activeDocument;
var frames = myDoc.textFrames;

for (var i = 0; i < frames.length; i++) {
    var text = frames[i].contents;
    var style = frames[i].paragraphs[0].paragraphStyles[0];
    var anyStyle = style.name == "data_bars_right" || style.name == "data_bars_cntrd";
    if (!isNaN(text) && anyStyle) 
        { frames[i].contents += "%";}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines