• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to align a clipping mask object correctly to a grid?

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a pattern with a rectangular group object. I have created a grid with 100 mm intervals, the same size as the tiles.

Some of the objects within these group objects are clipping mask shapes. This creates a problem: the contents of the clipping masks affect how the group objects align to the grid. The invisible vector objects inside the mask shape, but outside the boundaries mask shape, determine how the tiles align to the grid:

• Using “Snap to grid” aligns the tiles using the contents of the mask shapes
  • Using “Smart guides” makes aligning the objects jittery/unprecise (the clipping mask contents control points interfere with how the objects align)

I have also tried to create a grid with guidelines but to no avail. Is there a way to make Illustrator ignore the clipping mask content control points when aligning the objects?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you manually making the tiles? Have you tried using Object > Pattern > Make… to just create the pattern at the desired size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tonyharmer & thanks for the idea!

I have a set of different tile designs, that I'd like to randomly use, but in a grid (please see the attachment). I think I'll get the best results by placing them manually, testing how random or orderly they should be. Some of the tiles are simple vector objects and they snap perfectly to the grid, but some of them have these mask objects that cause difficulties with alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the tiles are all the same size you could try the pattern approach.

Convert all your tiles separately into patterns, using Object > Pattern > Make or dragging them into the Swatches panel with an invisible rectangle of the tile size in the back.

If your tiles are 100 mm you could create a square of 1000 mm (or whatever multiple of 100 you want) and choose Object > Path > Split into grid to create a grid of 10 X 10 tiles of 100 mm each.

You can start filling the tiles with the patterns you created.

Or use the Random Swatches Fill script for a random start:

http://vectorboom.com/load/freebies/freescripts/randomswatchesfill/22-1-0-167

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 13.45.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is useful to create the grid from the upper left corner (X:0, Y:0) that is where the patterns start tiling. And to choose the option to Transform Objects and Patterns in case you want to move them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines