• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to auto-create shape fractals / crystallization?

Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for an efficient workflow / plugin to create additional sub-shapes within a parent shape, ideally sharing some of the same vertices of the parent shape. Something with option sliders / previews so I can experiment and move quickly. I can do this manually but, for this particular project, that would require far too much time.

See the image below for a manually-made version of what I'm looking to achieve through effects or some other 'automated' method.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 8.06.55 AM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inkscape has a Voronoi pattern effect and the now defunct Scriptographer stuff had one, too. Other than that it's a common workflow in 3D construction programs to create all sorts of tesseleation patterns and Rhino 3D for instance has a lot of such tools and can export AI files. Point in case: If you broaden your search and are open to using other tools you'll easily find a solution.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the free version of Inkscape, but I'm unable to find the Voronoi pattern effect. Is that your term for the effect, or is that the name of the effect in the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extensions --> Voronoi Pattern

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could check the Adobe Exchange for low poly plugins for Illustrator:

https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/browse/cc/?page=1&product=ILST&q=low+poly&sort=RELEVANCE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be none...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really like the thought Myra. You're right, I'm basically looking for a low-poly-ish effect. But there are no plugins that even come close. Same with similar search terms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have come accross them on occasion on the web. Anything that allows you to upload an image and then download your result as an SVG would be suitable, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea. Even if there is no SVG / PDF download option (or its pay-walled) I could do an image trace on the result. I need to integrate this low poly effect with a more deliberate, symmetrical design seamlessly though, so toggling between a web service / app and the base design in illustrator won't be fun.

I've been looking around for non-illy low poly options. Do you have any recommendations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been some time that I investigated the functionality. I have tried the old Scriptographer solution as well as Inkscape. Wasn't impressed, so I did it manually. Maybe you can show us some sample designs and how you want to integrate them, because to me it looks like you are adding requests to this topic with every answer someone gives.

Creating simple shapes as polygon art manually might sound like some work, but it's not *that* hard if you draw the lines in a certain way. And then use Live paint to fill it with color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm after a solution that allows me to 1) experiment with the particular execution of a low-poly effect quickly (similar to other effects that have a preview toggle), and 2) apply that target effect with slight variations across ~90 copies of the base design. Doing this manually is something I'd like to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could do a bitmapped effect, then a live trace.

MikeGondek_0-1669996712037.png

Or create a large pattern art and then use your shape as a mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines