• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a HUD shape in Illustrator?

Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get a 'HUD' type shape like the below picture, so it's shaped like a egg instead of the standard circle?

HUD 0001.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

To complete kdmemory  explanation here's a quick video with one technique to build the HUD.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k5fLbGqRJEiX4pQy0I0ivCCfCgywx3iu/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BenSCR

If you mean the basic egg shape, just use the Ellipse Tool (L), press Shift and draw a circle. Then use the Direct Selection Tool (A) and select the right anchor point of the circle object. Now can use the mouse or better the arrow keys of your keyboard to force the anchor point as far to the right as you want. (Of course you can do that basically to any side you like).

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 17.01.18.png

Too easy. But you probably mean how to get the stripes as in your graph, well that I don't know.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a blend between some objects that each have invisible "helper" objects.

Then swap the blend spine:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-26 um 19.23.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, I've never seen the use of invisible helper objects in a blend! Based on the image you've posted, I assume they're no-stroke/no-fill objects. But I can tell neither what they're doing nor how exactly you use them. Are they included in the blend? Which objects are being blended exactly? And to the real point, I can see they're forcing some sort of curvature in the blend (without which there would be a "straight edge" ramping from the end objects to the middle one). But why and how?

Can you enlighten  me? Either with a brief explanation or a link somewhere? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please, Monika, enlighten us about the helper objects. I just tried it out, and it seemed to cause more problems than it solved, so I assume I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The helper objects are no fill/no stroke, all behind the visible objects and then each grouped with the visible object.

Then create the blend,

then replace the spine.

In my experiment it didn't work creating the blend with a custom spine in one step.

Example file: Dropbox - HUD - egg.ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely (and comically) doing something very wrong here, Moika!

I've built five objects. Between Object 1 and 3 is grouped Object 2 (short, black rectangle in front of tall, invisible rectangle). Grouped Object 4 is identical to grouped Object 2. Why have I made such a mess?

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 7.08.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stacking order in each group must be identical (I put the invisible object below the visible one)

Then you need to have the groups either in the correct order or click them one by one with the blend tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Monika. Still not making it happen so I returned to your version for a more critical look.

Are EACH OF YOUR FIVE visible rectangles grouped with invisible helper objects behind them? And are all the helper objects the height of the tallest rectangle in the center?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Each group needs to contain the same amount of objects in corresponding places in the object stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After testing my own question, I have to assume the answer is 'yes'! Doing it that way replicated your example. Tell me if in fact you  did it this way.

And can you also tell me: Where in the WORLD did you learn about "helper objects"?! How and where can I read about their purposes, their operations, and what they do that straight, "unhelped" blends do?

Thanks as always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I read somewhere or just found out that for blends the bounding box matters a lot. So I need to get an appropriate bounding box and the invisible object does that in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Monika, I had it right except for grouping. I did run into the problem that upon replacing the spine the blend elements ran along the circumference rather than radially, which I think I've encountered before, but I fixed it by a Transform Each rotation. Replace Spine worked as expected on a semi-circle, but not on a three-quarter or full circle.

In any case, thank you.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, how did you use Transform Each to properly align the blend to its new, egg-shaped spine? I ran into the same problem. Did you expand the blend first? What exactly did you select?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, You can expand the blend, but be sure to ungroup before Transform > Transform Each.

I did not expand, in case I wanted to alter the blend later. I selected the blend, then in the Layers panel deselected the spine. Easier than fishing for it on the Artboard. Then Transform Each and rotate. I still sometimes get some weirdness happening, but can usually get what I want by clicking options on and off (or off and on). I've never found the Blend tool to be particularly stable. Hope this makes sense to you

Peter

Egg-shaped blend.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter. I should have realized that you were applying Transform Each only to the blend's origin objects. Once you explained, it makes perfect sense. Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Doug, glad to oblige.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To complete kdmemory  explanation here's a quick video with one technique to build the HUD.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k5fLbGqRJEiX4pQy0I0ivCCfCgywx3iu/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet another way is to

1) Build and save a stroke profile using the Width tool and the Stroke panel.

2) Draw a circle with a dashed stroke, then apply the stroke profile, or

3) Make a pattern brush from a vertical line segment, apply it to a circle, then apply the stroke profile.

Some adjustments to the brush or the dashed stroke definitions will probably be necessary

Peter

Dash profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to Peter's idea, you could

1. Make a single stroke to use for a Pattern brush (the one I made used a fixed scale and spacing at 500%)

2. Make a circle

3. Apply the brush to the circle

4. Make your egg shape like Klaus suggested then fill it

5. Use the egg as a Transparency mask (fill it with white with no stroke, select the egg shape and the stroked circle, go to the Transparency panel and select Make Mask)

HUD.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want any masks, try these steps.

shapes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we can write a book about "How to Create a HUD with Adobe Illustrator!" LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it when we can find 65 ways to accomplish a task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sort of add another (cookbook) one, it is also possible to start with a Polar Grid of a suitable size and with 0 Concentric Dividers and a suitable number of Radial Dividers, then create the desired fried egg shape and subtract the yoke part, then using a Clipping/Opacity Mask or Pathfinder to just keep the (egg) white part with stripes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines