• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to detect that Illustrator.Application is fully loaded (VB)

Engaged ,
Dec 06, 2014 Dec 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a trick that they use to determine that the app is fully loaded? Is there a method available that I might be missing? I manage most of the time but I'd like to get this problem trapped. Looking for a method available in the Illustrator Scripting API preferably. Within VB Try/Catch isn't working in this instance...

Thank you!   -TT

(CC2014, VB.NET on WIndows 8.1.)

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

So after a bit more investigation and understanding (and some sleep), I came up with some VB code to resolve my dilemma. Here's the code:

Truth be told, my biggest problem was self-inflicted, as I somehow had the VS UI set to throw exceptions even on handled exceptions, leaving pretty much no one to blame but myself. 😞 

imagecollection wrote:

i Should do more with vb as it has more external potential then JS.

let us know how you go.  

imagecollection -- thanks for your reply here. I truly hope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not used VB with illustrator.

But could you test CPU usage?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19252388/how-to-wait-for-an-application-to-start-in-vbscript

My other thought would be to open a predefined small ai file. let that start illustrator.

then test for that file?

only quick random thoughts and I have not tested them at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imagecollection,

I think that the link that you provided may have some definite potential. I will investigate and reply with findings.

Thank you very much!

-TT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Hope it works.

let us know how you go.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after a bit more investigation and understanding (and some sleep), I came up with some VB code to resolve my dilemma. Here's the code:

Truth be told, my biggest problem was self-inflicted, as I somehow had the VS UI set to throw exceptions even on handled exceptions, leaving pretty much no one to blame but myself. 😞 

imagecollection wrote:

let us know how you go.  

imagecollection -- thanks for your reply here. I truly hope that you do more in VB, as it gets pretty lonely here on this forum. 🙂  Please let me know if you ever decide to get involved with VB. I'd be happy to help get you started. 🙂

-TT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your in VBA, but in JS there is the BridgeTalk command IsRunning() ( See page 184 if your JavaScript Tools guide. )

If this is any help to you.

isRunning()

BridgeTalk.isRunning (specifier)

specifier A specifier for the target application; see “Application specifiers” on page 191.

Returns true if the given application is running and active on the local computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Zetta -- Actually, I'm in VB.NET.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines