• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export AI files at high resolution for printing?

Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to start printing out my artwork at various print sizes and I found a great chart - Pixel Dimensions and File Sizes for Printing | Fine Art Printing | Los Angeles - that has the various columns such as print size and the resolution for various PPI settings, including the 300 PPI that I'm looking for.

For example, if I wanted to print 30 x 30 at 300 PPI, the resolution I would need to save my file would be 9000 x 9000.

However, in AI, when I go to export my artwork as a .PNG or .JPG, I can't set the resolution higher than 8192 x 8192.

Would appreciate any help into what I am doing wrong when I go to export.

Thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see issues exporting a PNG at 14000 x 12000 pixels using Export as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey,

Is there a good reason to do anything else than Save a Copy as PDF, retaining all the vector artwork and avoiding any risk of a bad print and having a much smaller file size, then print from the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

What I'd like to do is to sell my art through Etsy via digital downloads for those who want to print the art themselves in various formats.

When I look at Etsy, I see sellers offering digital downloads with files (.JPG) at specific sizes, i.e., 4 x 6, 10 x 14, etc., and I was looking to do the same.

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to figure this out I am having the same issue.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please create a new thread and describe your exact issue. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is your artwork vector? If so, then you do not need to save it as a pixel based file type. Y

Save the vector artwork as a .pdf or .eps (vector artwork is scalable to any size and will print clearly, as it has no pixels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the reply - the artwork is in vector.

What I'd like to do is to sell my art through Etsy via digital downloads for those who want to print the art themselves in various formats.

When I look at Etsy, I see sellers offering digital downloads with files (.JPG) at specific sizes, i.e., 4 x 6, 10 x 14, etc., and I was looking to do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you use the "Export for the screens" you would be able to set the resolution you want.

Capture d’écran 2019-08-21 à 11.39.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double check resolution requirements for that size.  300ppi sounds too high to begin with ( if it is intended for large format inkjet ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines