Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get straight lines when I want to create a vector file

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Totally new to Illustrator, so please have understanding if I write something wrong (and English isn't my native language so that won't help as well  😉  ).

I have an image (a PSD file) which I want to transform into a vector file. When looking on the internet I thought I understood that I can do this in Illustrator by placing the image and than using IMAGE TRACE.

But when I do this, all my lines are a bit 'round' and some areas are 'stichting together'.  The upper image is the PSD-file and the lower is the file in Illustrator after using IMAGE TRACE. 

I tried the different options in the pop-up  screen but I can't get the lines to become nice and straight. 

Is there a way to create nice straight lines?

maps.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't get a 100% precise result using image trace. If that's what you need, your image needs to be created as vector from the ground up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange.

before

pixxxelschubser_0-1705543856403.png

after

pixxxelschubser_1-1705543949273.png

That seems to work well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us what your settings were?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here (your setting with black/white is fine, I used a different setting with 4 colours because of the green arrows)

Please note, however, that I have used your screenshot. Resolution and size may differ from your file. (This might require different settings).
Illustrator 2023  v27.8.1

pixxxelschubser_0-1705619179739.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The higher the resolution and the better the quality of the PSD file, the better the autotrace will do.

I agree with Doug. Tedious as it is, if you want precise results you need to create it as vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is difficult to get desirable results converting a pixel-based image into vector format using effects like Live Trace. In order to get the best and most accurate, clean results you have to re-build the artwork by hand. The original Photoshop PSD image has to be placed on one layer and locked. Then that PSD image is used as a guide for building clean, new vector artwork on one or more other layers over the top of the original image. This process is not fast or easy, but it is a great exercise for learning how to use various tools in the Adobe Illustrator tool kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of tutorials about Image Trace. Here is the part about maps and plans. You might want to watch others as well: https://youtu.be/NRLCDygv3nc 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines