• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to isolate the multiple layers in Adobe Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to know isolate the single layer. But how I can isolate the multiple layers in Adobe Illustrator?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Alt-click next to the layer to lock all other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Alt (opt) - click one of the layers you want to remain editable in the lock-unlock column just to the right of the visibility (eye) column, then release Alt and click the lock of any other layer(s) you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us the structure of your file and what exactly you want to isolate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot show the original file but here is the example which will give the idea:
https://ibb.co/R0Y4bxs
In the above picture it is shown that there are 4 layers. Each layer has different shape. Now I want to select the top two layers and applied isolated mode. But when I select the top two layers and go to the control panel:isolated mode the enter isolated panel is greyed out. Below is the link for clarification.
https://ibb.co/TkZQCXy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not appear to be possible to isolate simultaneously objects on separate layers. The concept sounds somewhat self-contradictory to me. What is your intent?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project I am currently working on has 15 layers and each layers consist of different set of shapes. Now assume I want to work on layer 5,6 and not any other layer currently. If I am able to isolated by selecting layer 5 and 6 objects instead of selecting remaining layers manually then locking them out it will be much convenient and time saving workflow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt-click next to the layer to lock all other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By clicking Alt+left click to layer it is selecting all the objects of the particular layer it is not locking other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Haziq5DD6 and thromborator recommendations speak of a correct procedure.

A function that works inside objects with isolate mode groups. Isolating between layers requires a different process. You need to select layers and objects that you do not want to select, to be changed in any way, and DO NOT LOCK or HIDE them. This process is an isolation.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt (opt) - click one of the layers you want to remain editable in the lock-unlock column just to the right of the visibility (eye) column, then release Alt and click the lock of any other layer(s) you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines