How to join/merge multiple paths that are not part of any particular object or shape?

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those times where an image can explain this a whole lot easier than trying to use words.

Basically, I know that when working with paths in Illustrator, you can join the end of one open path to the end of another open path. Once you close the path to create an object. You can no longer just "join" another path to one of the anchor points of that object. Think of a balloon. You have a circle (closed loop), you draw a line seperate from the circle and try to "stick it" to the circle... you can move one of the anchor point to "interset" with an anchor point of the circle, but if you try to join... this would be 3 paths trying to join at the same anchor point.

What do you do when you don't want to have closed paths like witbh the circle of the balloon. Here... let me show you...

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 6.00.35 PM.pngThis is a line drawing that if you zoom in, you can see that it is a bunch of individual paths that intersect, but do not form any "fillable" objects. Here is a close up...

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 6.01.57 PM.png

I would like to connect everything... so that each intersection does not have this obvious "buncha intersecting paths" appearance. I've been playing around with the pathfinder, but I cannot figure out a way to make all these paths appear "joined."

TOPICS
Draw and design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

You could set the stroke endings to round cap.

Or you could join all the segments on the outside and have them build proper corners.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could set the stroke endings to round cap.

Or you could join all the segments on the outside and have them build proper corners.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines