• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a black & white .png using Image Trace?

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to take a picture of one of my company's machines and turn it into a black & white drawing (Illustrator CC 2018).  So far, I have removed the background from the photo in Photoshop and used the tracing tools in Illustrator.  My problem is if I use the 'black & white logo' tracer, it fills in the transparent background.  If I use the '3 colors' tracer, and click 'ignore white', it removes the white background, but the colors are grey instead of black & white.  I have tried multiple tracing tools and 'Edit Colors', but that doesn't seem to help either.  Any advice?

P.S. I plan on doing this with a picture of another machine.  I am just practicing right now, which is why it looks a little messy.

black & white roaster.png

grey roaster.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

My problem was that it made most of the logo transparent.  In the bottom photo I posted, I needed the light grey part to be white and the dark grey part to be black with a transparent background.

I actually figured out the solution just now.  If I click 'Expand' after I use the '3 Color tracer' and click 'ignore white', I can edit the colors.  I just wasn't aware I was supposed to click 'Expand' first.

Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the Image trace panel and adjust the options for the "black & white logo" preset so that it ignores white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My problem was that it made most of the logo transparent.  In the bottom photo I posted, I needed the light grey part to be white and the dark grey part to be black with a transparent background.

I actually figured out the solution just now.  If I click 'Expand' after I use the '3 Color tracer' and click 'ignore white', I can edit the colors.  I just wasn't aware I was supposed to click 'Expand' first.

Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines