• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make corners of multiple vectors sharp?

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 5.37.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-26 at 5.37.39 PM.png

Basically I'm looking to make the corners shown above to be "sharp". I tried chnaging the corner limit but nothing happened - what can I do to achieve this? Thank you.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Eric,

As I (mis)interpret your screenshot, you need to join the paths as described by Dilliam, and then apply Bevel Join in the Stroke panel, where it is placed together with Projecting Cap as mentioned by Bill.

You can obtain the same with a Miter Join as suggested by Dilliam, with a low Miter Limit.

Judging ny the looks, the Anchor Points of the two paths to the left are aligned, but the ones to the right are misaligned. You can see them if you deselect, then ClickDrag over them with the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Check out the Join tool in Illustrator.

Often overlooked, but worth a ton.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/join-trim-paths-lines.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you showing a single continuous path or are these two paths that are abutting one another? If these are two paths then the best you might hope for would be using the Projecting Cap option in the Stroke Panel (Chose the third icon in the Cap: area). To get what you appear to want it would have to be a single path with the Corner Option in the Stroke Panel set to Bevel (the third icon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grab the direct select tool (default hotkey is "a"). then draw a marquee around the corner. then press "cmd/ctrl + j". if they change, but still don't look sharp like you want them.. Open your stroke panel and look for "Miter Limit". increase that number until you see the point as you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

As I (mis)interpret your screenshot, you need to join the paths as described by Dilliam, and then apply Bevel Join in the Stroke panel, where it is placed together with Projecting Cap as mentioned by Bill.

You can obtain the same with a Miter Join as suggested by Dilliam, with a low Miter Limit.

Judging ny the looks, the Anchor Points of the two paths to the left are aligned, but the ones to the right are misaligned. You can see them if you deselect, then ClickDrag over them with the Direct Selection Tool, and then you can ClickDrag either (or both) into the (coinciding) position that gives oyu the best shape; Amsrt Guides are your friends for snapping into place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone! I think the main problem is that for some reason I can't draw a line that intersects, even if I draw the line from the end point: 
Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 1.06.33 PM.png

I checked my snapping options and smartguide and it doesn't seem to be an issue?
Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 1.07.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-28 at 1.09.48 PM.png

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way I can fix this issue? Thanks again everybody 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try turning off all of your "snap to" options. 

grab your pen tool and click on the canvas. then click somewhere about 50 pixels away. then click again in a point that would make a triangle out of your 3 points. then, point your mouse right at the original point. The arrow should show a little circle, indicating that you're closing the path.

If that still doesn't work, turn on "Smart Guides" from the view menu and try again. 

I suspect simply turning off snap to pixel and snap to glyph might fix it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check out the Join tool in Illustrator.

Often overlooked, but worth a ton.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/join-trim-paths-lines.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines