• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to merge layered images?

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2009 Jul 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to merge layered images in Illustrator CS3?

I'm used to doing it with Photoshop. I thought the merge in Pathfinder would work but apparently not

Thanks for any advice

George

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 01, 2009 Jul 01, 2009

Illustrator simply does not work that way. It's object based so every object is on it's own basic layer.

Essentially the Layers Panel shows layers and objects so you have layers, sublayers, and objects. If you don't what to see the objects in the Layers Panel choose the Panel Options from the Layers Panel and check the "Only show Top Layers" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by "Merge" layers?

There is a Merge Layers command as well as a Flatten Layers, and Combine into new Top Layer command in the Layers Panel menu. Those may or may not work for what you want. None of them work like Photoshop really because Illustrator is a different animal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is can you merge different layers into one; similar to the way it can be done in Photoshop.

The merge layer command seems to only work if layers are overlapped.

Let's say I want to create a page backround by creating 4 individual "panels". I then butt them up against one another and I want to merge them into one layer.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator simply does not work that way. It's object based so every object is on it's own basic layer.

Essentially the Layers Panel shows layers and objects so you have layers, sublayers, and objects. If you don't what to see the objects in the Layers Panel choose the Panel Options from the Layers Panel and check the "Only show Top Layers" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got It

Thanks for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Choose both layers (click on one and hold down the CTL key to click on the second), then go to the layers drop down menu, and choose 'Merge Selected'.

OR

Choose both layers as above, go to layers drop down menu, and choose 'Collect in New Layer'.

Not sure this is what you're wanting to do .... if not, there may be another way.

DS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines