Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to preserve Photoshop layer styles when placing in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Apologies if this is listed elswhere, I tried searching and couldn't find this particular response. I have some Photoshop files that have layer styles (Overlay, for example) on some layers, but when I place those files in Illustrator, those layer styles are discarded. Is there a way to keep them so that I don't have odd halos and artifacts around my images in Illustrator?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are referring to layer blend modes. Blending modes from Photoshp unfortunately are not recognized in Illustrator.  

If for example, you had the popular situation of an image with a drop shadow in photoshop you would need to import like this. These are your layers top to bottom.

1. all layers except drop shadows
  2. Drop shadow layer (set to multiply in Illustrator transparency Palette)
  3. Your vector background art in Illustrator

This has been a long-time issue I reported shortly after the new Millenium. I was surprised that Corel draw recognized the multiply on a placed .psd file, but have not used Corel Draw for over 15 years so not sure what is current. My point is if Corel can do this with adobe .psd, then Adobe should be able to. Even InDesign you can more easily reassign blend modes to psd imported layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. It's a shame, I might hop over to the "wishlist" section and ask for this to be added, though it sounds like it's not looking good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @outflare,

Thanks for reaching out. Kindly have a look at this HelpX article for steps on how to open designs from Photoshop into Illustrator: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Please update this thread if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anubhav. Unfortunately that's not the answer I was looking for. I know how to place Photoshop files in Illustrator, but what I'd like to see happen (and something I added a Feature Request for) was to retain the layer blend modes in Photoshop files when they're placed in Illustrator. I hope Adobe considers adding this soon.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share a sample Photoshop file (.psd)?

I'm just asking because basically Illustrator is definitely able to retain Photoshop's blend modes (as long as they are supported in Illustrator, otherwise normally there is some kind of flattening in order to maintain the overall appearance).

I don't think it is right to claim that Illustrator cannot retain Photoshop's layer blend modes at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines