• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to resize text in accordance to object outlines?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 13.57.09.png

Okay so as you can see the text and object are outlined; and the text is positioned between the outlines of the object.

Now my question is how can I fit the text to the object's outlines? As you can see the text is a bit curved and that makes it trickier to resize properly.

PLEASE RESPOND WITH ANY SOLUTIONS!

Thank you

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 13.52.45.png

I finally succeeded!

This was the article that helped me☞https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/type-on-a-path-error-msg/td-p/3733208?page=1 

Tnx all!🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try Object > Transform > Transform Each. Text needs to be ungrouped for this to work.

How difficult is it to just create a new text object? This is Arial, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I think you don't understand what I mean..

I'm trying to enlarge the text dimensions in such a way that is edge-to-edge with the outlined object. As you can see in the photo there's still a bit of space above & below the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Monika, just recreate the text on a path (it is the default Myriad Pro Regular font).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Monika's point is that it is no longer text. It would be MUCH easier to scale live text-on-a-path to align with your artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 18.55.00.png

I try using text on path but it wouldn't allow me.

This is the character that I'm trying to work with☞ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a duplicate of whichever path you need and then type on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This kind of thing would be easier if Adobe Illustrator allowed users to size, position and align type objects based on the cap letter height of the text object. You need to be able to know the literal numerical width of the space you're trying to fill in those circles and then set the lettering in a capital letter height that physically matches the same dimensions. A couple of industry-specific sign making applications allow for this. You can do this sort of thing to an extent in CorelDRAW; that app's "artistic text" tool creates text objects that have no bounding box. If you type out a placeholder letter, such as "E" in a geometric sans serif typeface whose features run parallel to the baseline and cap height line (like Helvetica or Arial), you can size, position and align that letter based on its physical dimensions and not some bounding box surrounding it. An "E" one inch tall will really be truly one inch tall. Illustrator doesn't let you do that unless you convert the type to outlines. Once you have the dummy object placed where it needs to be the "E" can be replaced with actual text that is positioned right where it needs to be. Of course the approach doesn't work as well when using fonts whose features rise above the font's built in baseline and cap height line.

I have mixed feelings how default text on path effects work, particularly for flowing text objects around circular seal-style logos. The results can often be really wacky and crooked looking. My work around is using the strengths of CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator together. CorelDRAW can size text and align text objects based on physical, visual size. Illustrator has the art brush effect and can tell you the path length of a certain path segment. I combine those features as an alternative to the typical text on path effect. The attached image is something I could not have created using CorelDRAW or Illustrator exclusively. I had to use both applications to make the lettering in this image work.

Meers-VFD-Logo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank very much for your detailed response!🙏

Ok so can I work with a CorelDRAW project in Illustrator and vice versa?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean sending the file back and forth? No, you can't.

Soon as you open the AI file in CorelDRAW (which is possible) your brushes will be expanded and never come back.

Soon as you export the CDR file to AI (which is also possible), your kerning/tracking will be ruined (text itself might even still be there).

So make it in each app and then combine it. But no roundtripping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you can "round trip" artwork elements between Illustrator and CorelDRAW pretty easily if you know which features will not break or be altered in the import/export process. Generally "live" effects and other unique effects that are dependent on a specific application will not port to other applications properly. Those have to be flattened or expanded. It takes some experience to know what will work or not. The user also has to make a choice of which application will hold the finished artwork if application-dependent live effects will be applied.

Much of that Meers VFD logo was built in CorelDRAW, including the initial text elements because the lettering had to be set at a certain physical size. Large scale and technical-oriented artwork is easier to create there. Illustrator was required to create the text arcs using the Art Brush tool since CorelDRAW doesn't have a comparable feature. I also needed to determine path lengths of a base circle set along the centerline of where the lettering resides. I used the path length data to adjust the length of the two lines of lettering in CorelDRAW (so they wouldn't be stretched or squeezed severely). Then I brought the objects into Illustrator to turn into Art Brushes to apply to the center lines. The result is lettering that is centered perfectly in the seal band, with baselines and cap height lines flowing along the curve of the circles. Standard text on path effects don't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aryaun,

Presumably you actually know the needed height by the (difference in) sizes of the circles, otherwise determine it; and based on this you can, using live Type:

1) In the General Preferences tick Use Preview Bounds;

2) Type ARYAUN, then Effect>Path>Outline Object, then in the Transform palette set the desired height in the H box and Ctrl/Cmd+Enter, then copy the font size value in the Type window;

3) Use Path Type to type ARYAUN on the desired path, then insert the value from 2) to resize precisely (just click in the box with the current value to select it and replace it by Ctrl/Cmd+V);

4) In the General Preferences untick Use Preview Bounds to avoid a mess (you can also do this between 2) and 3)).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried using this approach before and always had strange results in sizing letters to a specific physical size in the transform palette. After checking "Use Preview Bounds" in Preferences, I'd type out the word "TEXT" in a typeface like Helvetica. Then I'd apply the Path>Outline Object effect, then try to give the object a specific size in the transform pallete, such as 2" tall. Illustrator won't do it. I'd get a random number sort of close to 2" in the H box. Basically I'd have to type 2" in the box repeatedly until the object finally got close to the mark. It's easier just converting the type to outlines and sizing to 2" that way. But then you can't really use a Text on Path effect once that's done. However the object can be applied to a path as an art brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 13.52.45.png

I finally succeeded!

This was the article that helped me☞https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/type-on-a-path-error-msg/td-p/3733208?page=1 

Tnx all!🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines