Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to to cut out the image below with the path above it

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 9.54.32 PM.png

I am trying to cut out the shape of the B on top into the layer beneath it. So that I can make the B transparent without the bottom layer showing through.  Currently I am having to make the B white so that it can be seen.  If I try to make the B transparent then it just becomes black like in the picture below.

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 9.57.08 PM.png

How do i cut out the shape of the B into the image beneath it?  Kind of like a reverse clipping mask or something.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pathfinder command would work. Select the black area and the B. In the Pathfinder panel, select Minus Front.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this didn't work.  I tried just clicking it and nothing happened.  I tried option clicking and i got this error 

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 7.26.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Group everything below the B. Group the B (if necessary).

Select both and click Make Mask in the Transparency panel.

Uncheck Clip and check Invert Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton,

This was working but now all of a sudden it no longer works.  When i do this it does nothing now.  do you know why?

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.29.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your selection does not seem to have a fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is not what you started with, that was an image, this appears to be all vector.

Minus front works on vector, you'll have to use Ton's inverted mask for an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the black area is an image, you can image trace it and then use Pathfinder.

Or, do as Ton suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear please a bit. Do you have the image and want to create a hole with the "Bitcoin sign" shape? Is the content on the bottom a vector artwork or an image?
In the first case, unite the central black objects to get a big black spot. Then select it and the "B" sign and use Pathfinder > Minus Front Like Barbara suggests.
In the second one (the raster image below) create a compound path:

1. Draw the rectangle around the image.
  2. Select the "B" sign and the rectangle.
  3.  Create the new object using the selected ones.
  4. Use Object > Compound Path > Make to unite the details into a single shape.

Then put the shape above the image, select both and create a Clipping Mask (Object > Clipping Mask > Make).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines