• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use Pantone Connect to find closest PMS match.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a prepress designer who works with premade artwork and who sometimes needs to find out what the closest PMS color in a piece of artwork is. Since Adobe got rid of the Pantone color books, I can no longer do that, as far as I can tell anyway. Using Pantone Connect I can pick a PMS color to apply to the art but I don't know how to find the closest PMS match for a color that is already in the artwork.

TOPICS
Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

What went wrong?

Try this:

Install (or go to if still installed) an older version of Illustrator like 2022 (CC app > Apps > All Apps > Illustrator > click the 3 dots … > Other Versions)

Go the Illustrator 2022 Application folder > Presets > (your language folder) > Swatches > Color Books > and make a copy of PANTONE+ Solid Coated.acb and PANTONE+ Solid Uncoated.acb 

Keep them in a safe place and copy them to the same location in the Illustrator 2023 application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The [physical] Pantone color books are still available. I believe you are referring to the Swatch libraries. 

I would open the image in Photoshop, eyedrop the color, and while in the color panel, change to Color Libraries. You will see the closest Pantone solid color. (Note: you may have to load the Pantone libraries from a previous version of Photoshop.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried loading a backup file into Photoshop and Illustrator but the newer versions don't like the filetype, uunfortunately. Just going to have to revert back to previous versions. Definitely appreciate the quick response though. Thanks man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What went wrong?

Try this:

Install (or go to if still installed) an older version of Illustrator like 2022 (CC app > Apps > All Apps > Illustrator > click the 3 dots … > Other Versions)

Go the Illustrator 2022 Application folder > Presets > (your language folder) > Swatches > Color Books > and make a copy of PANTONE+ Solid Coated.acb and PANTONE+ Solid Uncoated.acb 

Keep them in a safe place and copy them to the same location in the Illustrator 2023 application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't quote me on this because I don't have Pantone connect anymore, but it seems there is a matching system behind the paywall - on their website - where you can enter the HSL values and it returns the PMS swatch. It used to be free for everyone (I used it a lot) but I have been told that it's now part of the Adobe connect package.
Nothing integrated with illustrator as far as I know. It used to be called the Pantone X-ref tool.

Would this kind of thing help?
https://codebeautify.org/hex-to-pantone-converter
I understand it's not a very reliable answer 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the recolour artwork limited to a library is not available even with the pantone connect plug-in. The Pantone Connect app/website/plugin is behind the paywall to get cross refferences, so there is not way to convert except colour by colour, or using and older version of the software. The other problem is that Pantone can change their pigments and colour definitions so using an older software/method may not give the same resulr as if there was a new way to do this. It does increase our workload if this is one of the tasks we had… I feel your pain (and know that is not much of an answer).
Let's hope Pantone realises their mistake and let Adobe Users access their books in a better way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just install the color book files from an older version, you can use them with recolor artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get that to work, how old version are you talking about to get the colour books to work? If there was an Ai, Pdf or EPS file with pantone colours it can be used as a library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above posted:

After that in Recolor Artwork choose Limit to Library from the Color Reduction Options.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 12.04.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU FOR CREATING THIS POST!! I live with my PANTONE Color Bridge Fan Book. I have been SUPER FRUSTRATED without having my PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE swatcths in the newest version of Illustartor! I have been searching for a solution for months! Wish Pantone and Adobe would resolve their differences like adults! Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work, as shown below in AI 27.1.1:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, not holding my breath for you, but this is how you contact Pantone for feature requests
support@pantone.com
Also the technical support here (for UK/EMEA, check for your country)
https://www.pantone.com/uk/en/contact-us

And if you're really cross 😁
01233 225450

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate all the responses to this for sure. Yeah it does seem the cross referencing function is behind a paywall, unfortunately. Best thing I found, for now, is to just revert back to an older version of Illustrator. Ver. 27.0 to be specific still has the Pantone color book and PMS numbers I need. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't forget to make a copy of the .acb files for use in current and future application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Best thing I found, for now, is to just revert back to an older version of Illustrator.

OR load the Swatch libraries into the new version as @Ton Frederiks has described a few times in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines