Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't change tools.. Please help! :(

Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i cant change all my tools...i cant change direct selection tool,line segment tool and exc.. please help me pleaseeeeeeee....

Ä° vvant to dravv circle (oval). For this i must change "Rectangle tool" ..BUt i cant change it..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

I've had this same problem. The only way i've been able to work around it is by holding down the Alt key, then clicking the tool button (any of them).

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Absoutely, I solve the problem(It is not problem)

Maybe you click the Rectangle tool shortly then It is not change!!

If you want change the other tools, you have to click the Rectangle tool(current selected tool) over 1 second.

then you will find another tool(circle, star, etc...)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ma-riza,

When you Click and Hold, hovering over the Rectangle Tool, the underlying tools should fly out. Do they (not)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they dont

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked like a charm....thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hit "L" the keyboard shortcut, does the tool switch?

Do you have any plug ins, especially the ones that add extra tools.

Try resettting your preferences. Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem, too. The "fly-out" menus no longer work in CS5 Illustrator or Photoshop. I am able to cycle through the available tools if I hold the Option key while clicking on a tool. The "L" key does switch back to the previous tool. I have rebuilt my user preferences, restarted, repair permissions. Any suggestions on what else to look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same problem. The only way i've been able to work around it is by holding down the Alt key, then clicking the tool button (any of them).

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless your soul this is the only thing that worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I was having the same issue and it was driving me crazy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked - but why?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it. I have a MacBook Pro with a 17-inch display on the left and a Visio 1080P on the right, via HDMI.  If my displays are set up like this, things are okay:

005.png

But if they are set up like this

004.png

then two things happen. One is that the fly-out tools don't fly out, and the other is that I can't drag an object above the left (MacBook's) top menu bar. The reason I changed to the bottom arrangement is I preferred the way my pointer moved smoothly between monitors. !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution to this issue. Its got something to do with the monitor. When I movie AI to my other monitor the flyouts work normally (by holding down the left mouse button). They also work normally when I don't have the window set to full screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This holds true here too. The flyouts do not work on my secondary monitor but do work on my main laptop screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! It worked. It's a bug, Adobe didn't fixed the problem yet 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to which tool you need it and hold on the tool until it's flyout

Regards,,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming this, although I find the 4 seconds that it has to be held in ps cc 2017 annoyingly long and unproductive.

As for tool switching between subtools, I thought "L" was not working to switch between Lasso, Polygonic Lasso, and Magnetic Lasso until I discovered the Tools preference to use Shift to switch. Once I un-checked that, pressing L worked (as would presumably Shift-L if you don't un-check it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absoutely, I solve the problem(It is not problem)

Maybe you click the Rectangle tool shortly then It is not change!!

If you want change the other tools, you have to click the Rectangle tool(current selected tool) over 1 second.

then you will find another tool(circle, star, etc...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's work with thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This was super helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still occurring, even on PC. I discovered that if I have illustrator open on my secondary monitor, the tools don't work as they should (same problem mentioned here). If you drag illustrator on to your main screen it's fine.

As far as changing screen positions, it doesn't seem to have any effect in Windows 8.1, the app has to be placed on the primary display. Sort of annoying, but not a train smash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes work for me ps 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines