Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't ungroup my vector

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have downloaded a vector from the internet and opened it in Illustrator by going to File > Place.

I have tried the selection tool and the direct selection tool to highlight the individual picture that I want to use out of the vector, however none of this is working. It just highlights the whole document.

I have pressed ungroup, embedded etc and still nothing... I am new to illustrator so perhaps I'm doing something else wrong.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 6.33.40 PM.png

I want to be able to copy just the top line of stars and use them only. Does anyone know how I can do this?

ps. I am using Illustrator CC 2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

it looks like a Clip group- see at the very top left of the screen, where it tells you what type of object it is

maybe

Object > Clipping Mask > Release ?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

I had the same issue, and solved via ISOLATING next to ungroup - that worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the vector is an EPS file. However I also have it in AI file and have tried both with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Go with different way,

Just open your vector image in Illustratior and then ungrop objects.

Then you can easy work with selected shapes.

You can also work without ungrouping using White Arrow (A) or Lass (Q) Tools to select shapes you want

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like a Clip group- see at the very top left of the screen, where it tells you what type of object it is

maybe

Object > Clipping Mask > Release ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried a different way

I went into finder on my mac, and went into the file that I saved the vector in and double clicked the AI version of the vector.. that opened the vector in illustrator and then I was able to select the parts I wanted straight away.

i wonder if it was just because I inserted the vector initially by going to file > place

that it didn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle,

Fundamentally, when you File>Place an AI document, you get the PDF version if any.

So the right way is definitely to Download/Open the AI directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark your own  answer as the solution, it may help another user in the future with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle, by the date, I'm assuming you have solved this already, but I encountered the same problem today so I just wanted to post what my solution was in case it will help someone.   When I purchased my vector from the Adobe Stock, I clicked on the little shopping cart icon that says "License & Save to Computer".  It opened the file automatically in a new Illustrator page, but it would not allow me to ungroup the images.  I noticed that the file didn't actually show up in my system downloads, so I went back to Adobe Stock and clicked the little down arrow beside the "license and save to computer", and then clicked download.

Screen shot 1.png

screen shot 2.png

Once it was downloaded properly, I STILL wasn't able to "place" the image and ungroup....  SO.....  I opened the file in Illustrator, and made sure I could ungroup the images... and I could.  I saved the file AS AN SVG, and from there, I was able to take the new file and use "Place" to place the new svg file into my current working document.    I hope this helps!

screen shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue, and solved via ISOLATING next to ungroup - that worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines