• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I converted the type size from points to inches and it's not true to size.

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the 2018 cc release of illustrator and I'm confused as to why when I set the font size to inches, say 2 inches tall, that the output isn't actually 2 inches. it's more like 1.7" or so. I've fudged around with the settings but I already know that Leading and Baseline have little to do with how the font is sized in this regard. I've been setting up names to be vinyl cut in illustrator for well over a year and have been doing it by outlining the text. When you do this with 30+ names of jerseys it eats at your time to resize each name individually or to size down the font while the text is still live to as close as I can to 2 inches tall. Is there any way at all to adjust the sizing so the type tool outputs inches to actual size?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really apply a unit of linear measure to type-height that way. If that was my project, I'd just type a character, scale it to 2 inches tall, and note the size in points; then just set all the names at that size, in that font.

You''d have to decide which kind of character to key on. For instance, if you base it on uppercase O, which is often one of the tallest characters in a font, all your other characters will be under 2" tall, whereas if you base it on something less round, say, uppercase E, some of your characters will exceed 2".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing exactly what you post (sizing it to pts in type with the base letters), as I noted in my original message. However, when you're doing more than just one font, it's excessive on top of kerning and laying out to cut. I'm trying to streamline the process is all as this is a procedure used sometimes 4-5 times during the week for any number of names with our company, in our busy season. I know it's a strange request, however, as it's an option in a program I've used for nearly a decade, I was expecting it to be shown as expected or not be an option at all.

I'm looking for ALTERNATIVES to this, but thanks for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sieablu  wrote

I've been doing exactly what you post  . . . as I noted in my original message.

I'm looking for ALTERNATIVES to this, but thanks for trying to help.

Well, your description was more of a one-name-at-a-time scenario than mine, but yes I understand it's cumbersome when the batches are small.

As I mentioned, type (font) sizing just isn't applicable to a common, measured height, so I don't believe you'll find a way to do it systemically with live type in Illustrator. There may be other software options that would make it easier, but I don't know of them.

I also don't know how many different fonts you offer, but in your shoes I'd consider setting up an artboard for each one, containing all the caps, outlined and set at 2" high. Perhaps then add a second artboard above, sized long enough for most names, equipped with a guide to set the characters on. Then, setting each name would just be a matter of dragging (or alt-dragging) the needed characters to the guide, rather than fiddling with size each time anew. Kern and save a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once more, thanks for the response, but that's not helpful to my situation.

To add more to my situation, which works: I resize the names all at once while the text is still live. I note the sizing that's as close to the size I need as I can get it and carry on (which is different per font since every max height is different), but for each and every order with a font that is requested by a customer for a custom vinyl, it adds time to the process. I sadly have no control over how many fonts/sizes we offer for name/text customization and not all of them are 2 inches, regardless. Knowing that I use various fonts, at various sizes, at any given time; I can't use your suggestions for this, but I've definitely used that method before for other things. That's only useful for repeat fonts at repeat sizing. The other parts of my process are required and tedious enough I was hoping I could slim this down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sieablu,

How about this?

1) Tick Edit>Preferences>General>Use Preview Bounds;

2) Select the Type with the (normal) Selection Tool and Effect>Path>Outline Object;

3) Set the size as desired.

That will reduce the Bounding Box to the actual bounds of the letters, and keep the Type editable, so you can set the actual height of the (highest) letters.

If you need it as non outlined text in PDF (or maybe for other reasons), remove the effect:

4) With the live Type selected, in the Appearance palette click the Reduce to Basic Appearance button.

That will bring it back to normal plain Type, with no change in actual letter height.

Obviously, you will need to untick Use Preview Bounds for other purposes, but you can just tick that again when you need to edit (some of) the Type if needed to keep it in place; that may not be necessary because the changes will (mostly, and only if no letters exceed the hitherto vertical bounds) be in the horizontal direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wasn't exactly why I came to this thread but your answer solves an issue I thought was unfixable.  I have been outlining text forever to keep the bounding box to the right proportions and cursing losing editability. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, PixelSamurai.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines