• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I hate Illustrator! Struggling to do even simple tasks with Illustrator on Mac. Is a mouse the key?

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it vital to use a mouse when using illustrator on a Mac? I've having difficulty, even the simplist of tasks are beyond me, and not like the tutorials. Do I need to go back to using a mouse?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janet23406910mdq9,

If you prefer using a mouse, go for it. People work well with or without a mouse. It really is a personal preference.

As far as "having difficulty, even the simplist of tasks," have you thought about getting training? Illustrator really is a complicated application until you learn the ins and outs. Here's a list of Adobe Certified Instructors if you're interested: https://learning.adobe.com/partner-finder.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Thanks so much for your helpful response! I was so frustrated today! I am using a Mac Book Pro and havent used a mouse in years. It's good to know a trackpad is not out of the question. I will look out for a certified trainer in my area, that's a great idea. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry you are struggling. I use a Wacom and find that very intuitive - I never use a mouse. Perhaps take a local class at a junior college or something like that so it will be in person and they might be able to see what it is you are struggling with. Sometimes online classes or tutorials just don't work for some people. Also, be patient with yourself if you are just learning. It is a hard program and things online make it look simple - it is not!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelew83603738

I really appreciate your response!  I feel a bit brighter now, I felt so defeated and disapointed in myself earlier.  I'm seeing where to find things etc in the tutorials, but these handles and drawing curves with the pen function are always wrong for me, seems like I'm not clicking Shift key or something, I don't know.  I think you are right, I need an in person class to see what I'm doing wrong when using the trackpad on my MacBook Pro.  Appreicate your advice, have a good day,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use a Wacom tablet. I don’t think there is a “best” input device because none are the best at everything, and all are the best for something. For certain tasks nothing beats a tablet, but for other things, nothing beats a trackpad (I love the multi-touch gestures), but for other things, nothing beats the precision of a mouse. So I often use a combination of them as needed. I think Mac trackpads are fantastic, but there is a reason I still keep a mouse in my laptop bag.

For a vector drawing application such as Illustrator, I think a stylus is better for more freeform work such as with the brush tools, but for precisely controlling path points and handles I often find it easier to use a mouse or trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Conrad C

Thanks for your comments.  Very helpful. I am currently using a trackpad on a MacBook Pro. I may have to purchase a mouse to see if that suits me better. I let impatience and frustration get the best of me today I must admit. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that by any chance one of the new M1 Macbooks?

I'm using one of those now and it's neither the first time I used a trackpad nor is it the first time I'm using Illustrator, but man, that trackpad sucks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Thanks for the question. No it's not the M1, it one of the Intel i9 MacBooks from 2019. My introduction to Illustrator has been far from positive, although I can appreicate the awsome things it can do and the vast function it has. One day I hope to at least get the basics down. At present even drawing round corners and handles are giving me grief.  I need to practice patience as well as Illustrator I guess. Have you been able to see if a mouse improves things for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love using a mouse. I'm even using them for freehand drawing and I can fully recommend using a mouse. Particularly with modification keys, mice for me beat the trackpad every time.

The mice I use all the time are rather small Logitech. You have to find a mouse that suits your hand. For me they need to be rather flat and not too long. If you can, go to a store and try some out. I would always prefer the ones with a real scroll wheel and real buttons to whatever Apple has invented. The last time an Apple mouse did its job reliably for me was the Apple Desktop Bus mouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mice_by_Apple,_Inc.#Apple_Desktop_Bus_Mouse_(G5431/A9M0331)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to agree with you, Monika. I spent the better part of a 25 year carrer in scientific illustrating using only a mouse. I had no real trouble doing what ever I wanted with AI and a mouse (mostly an apple one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Thank you, I'll look into the Logitec options. Seems that mice are much more expensive than when I last purchase one years ago!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit that I don't do that kind of comparisons. Don't even remember what the last one cost (which was not even long ago).

But since I needed it to have Bluetooth as well (because of the Macbook's USB ports), it might have been more expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Janet23406910mdq9 wrote:

Seems that mice are much more expensive than when I last purchase one years ago!

They don't have to be expensive. For years I’ve used a $30 Bluetooth mouse and it works fine. What you get with more expensive mice are more shortcut buttons, configuration software for them, higher precision, maybe a trackpad (like the multi-touch Apple Magic Mouse) or a higher quality scroll wheel, and sculptural shapes that might or might not be more ergonomic. If that’s your thing, a lot of artists are willing to pay for the quality and options of brands like Logitech.

For a while I was even using a wired USB mouse I got for $10, but I decided I no longer wanted to deal with a cable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For years I’ve used a $30 Bluetooth mouse and it works fine.

By @Conrad C

I don't think I paid more than that amount on the Logitech mouse.

And they last really long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use a mouse with Illustrator. (I have a Wacom tablet, but I tend to use that more for Photoshop and Painter.)

The only thing I use a computer trackpad for is email and browsers...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines