• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need you guys to help me please!! - Character creation workflow

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright so, I'm trying to make cool characters like this: http://prntscr.com/iy778i

Do you think the guy who made it drew it out first on paper?

Either way, would it be possible for me to do this in illustrator without drawing it on paper?

~Thanks!

Message was edited by: moderator

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Ok...this is STRICTLY my own opinion here, but it's been my experience (which isn't small) that MOST artists have their own way of working.  There's an old joke about Photoshop artists that really applies...ask 10 different PS artists how to do the SAME thing and chances are you're gonna get 10 DIFFERENT answers, LOL!  For some folks, yes...certainly they'll rough something out as a drawing before putting on the computer (particularly regarding graphics design and especially "story boarding" for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can envision it, you can do it. Easy is illustrator. If it helps you could sketch it out on paper but you'll have to scan in and draw from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I am very inspired, I just don't know where to start. Do I start out with more simple things first or just go for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually that would be a good start to learn a bit. Jump right in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

llustrator isn't  intuitive , you have to learn to use it via some form of lessons, or you will keep running into roadblocks and get a right  headache.

eg spend a week on this course,

The Complete Beginners Guide To Adobe Illustrator | Tutorial Overview & Breakdown - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Ray is right. That's exactly why I don't use it. There are other software programs out there that one can easily learn without "lessons" and/or tutorials. Illy still causes me to use some choice words and destroy things!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...this is STRICTLY my own opinion here, but it's been my experience (which isn't small) that MOST artists have their own way of working.  There's an old joke about Photoshop artists that really applies...ask 10 different PS artists how to do the SAME thing and chances are you're gonna get 10 DIFFERENT answers, LOL!  For some folks, yes...certainly they'll rough something out as a drawing before putting on the computer (particularly regarding graphics design and especially "story boarding" for animation, etc).   In my case, while I CAN draw, I don't actually enjoy it...it's a very slow, physically painful and tedious process for me to say the least.  In other words, there's no real right or wrong way...ya do what you need to do to get you where you need to go.

Now with that said, I will assume that you're fairly (if not completely) new to working with vectors, based on the questions you asked here....in other words, if I add something terribly obvious, please don't take any offense to it!  LOL!!!  As myron up there said, the image you have there is a really good one to start off with.  I don't know if you've ever worked in Photoshop (or a similar program such as Gimp), however one principle most of these programs have in comment...raster or vector...is that they tend to work with "layers".  As such, I would suggest you try to "see" the image you're planning (be it this one or something else) as such.  For example, I've done a few vector "people portraits", so if I'm doing a face, then it doesn't make sense to start with nose, eyes or ears, but the basic shape and colors of the face, to create something of a background to build from.  Again this is me personally, but I usually start with the large background shapes FIRST and tend to build from there.  You CAN always go back and add stuff "behind" that later...one of the truly lovely things about working with layers, however, ALL art, be it hand drawn with a pencil or created on a computer with a mouse, has to start with that first line!  With the image you have posted there, I'd probably start with the shape of that dark blue background, then build from there.

Ultimately I tend to think of "art" in precisely those terms...basic geometric shapes.  If you look around where you are sitting right now, you probably have some form of monitor to read this...primarily a "rectangle" and it may have a "circular" power button, etc.  You may have a coffee cup or can of pop or something near you...pretty much a "cylinder".  I know the desk I'm sitting at right now has LOTS of cubes and rectangles...you get the idea.  MOST things in this world can easily be broken down into such geometric shapes...squares/rectangles/cubes, circles/spheres, cylinders, triangles, etc..  I don't know if this helps, but I often to tell people "squint their eyes" and let their vision go out of focus for a bit, so they can see the shapes and NOT the actual "object".

Now as to vectors and Illustrator itself, I would tend to agree with Ray in that it's not all that intuitive for a lot of folks.  In my case, I had spent YEARS working in Photoshop before I ever started messing with Illustrator, so there was a far more natural feel for me, however even there...yea...I had to wrestle with that Pen Tool for a rather long time before I finally got comfortable with it - kinda like dancing with a well greased hippo...ya just can't quite get your arms around it!  LOL!!!  That said, if you're not familiar with this already, Illustrator has a bunch a REALLY great tools...other than the pen tool...to get you started, including the "Path Finder"....VERY useful tool which I still use a great deal.  As such, if you find you're having difficulty with a particular tool (like that pen tool)...seriously...try something else instead.  Don't feel like you need to learn ALL of it at once...we all learn at different paces and in different ways.

Last but not least - HAVE FUN!  A lot of folks seem to get SO wrapped up in the learning aspect of stuff like this, that they actually forget to enjoy themselves!  LOL!!!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I am having a lot of fun learning. Heres something I just made: http://prntscr.com/iyhzui

I'd like to make it a little more advanced like the ninja logo though. Where would I go from here? Or is this a completely different design?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the ninja is just shapes, nothing conceptually different from what you just made. just more complex.

if you want an idea of how simple it could be, use the pen tool to trace all the basic lines of the ninja. then give it a square frame, select the whole thing and colour it using live paint.

then apply what you learn to your own stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only difference with the ninja one and yours is a couple of gradient fills on some shapes and a full background.

You're on the right track. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines