• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 asking to save files twice before closing on macOS

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone having any issues with the Illustrator 2020 saving funcvtion? If I press Command + S it should save, but then if I close the file it asks me to save again. It really is a time wasting exercise. I really thought this would be gone when updating to 24.1.2 but alas. Is there a setting that could fix this?

Mike

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Hi,

I removed the Esko plugin and everything's works smoothly!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

I just fixed it.

Illustrator > Preferences > File Handling and Clipboard...> "Save in background" must be unchecked.

I hope this helps others too.

Finally!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you using any third party plugin or some external script, which is manipulating the document. It may possible that if you are using any plugin and if that is open it may be making the document dirty and working silently in the background.

So try, after saving the document using Command + S, it actually saves or not by checking an * sign in the tab of the document where you see Document name. See screenshot for reference.

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 11.15.02 PM.png

Thanks

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly where do you save?

Is the "optimize Slow file saving" option in Preferences > File handling turned on? If so, try and turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Sorry about this issue. I would like to know if the suggestion shared by Monika worked for you, or the issue still persists. Charu has also explained it rightly that third party application may also cause such issues. 

We tried but couldn't replicate this issue, but it has been reported by a few other users as well and we are currently investigating this issue. Kindly upvote this issue here (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39029392-background-sav...) and share the details mentioned on this UserVoice page.

Thanks,
Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion from Monika did not work, neither did the suggestion from Charu16.

I have to now go back to using an older version of Illustrator. This is so dissappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have shared a video with sharewithai@adobe.com and given all my specs. I have tried removing my the one scrpt I have "dimensioning".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you so much for sharing the details, Mike. Apologies again, I know how frustrating this can be, but please be assured that our Product team is working hard to test & finalize the changes as soon as we can. Please stay tuned for updates, and thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I´ve working with Esko Plug-ins time ago, and I don´t see it as the cause of the issue. When Illustrator documents are exported as normalized Pdf (Pdf file format for use in Esko preepress environment), everytinhg works fine: no lags, no application crashes... even, no error dialog boxes.

Also, I have been doing several tests using color management (because maybe, using or embedding color profiles, would be a reason). But neither. With or without color administration the problem persist, and it is only - or at least in my case... when Pdf compatibility is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Hope you are doing good! I have an update for you. While troubleshooting similar issue on a user's machine we found that background save process was getting conflicted with some Plugins.

Could you please confirm if you are using any third-party plugins like ESKO?

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

As Srishti suggested, please check for the same, or you can read the following thread.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/save-does-not-work-illustrator-24-1-2-mac-os-high-sierra-...

It may possible, you are using other plugin other than ESKO. This is something realted to third party plugins.

Please update us on your issue.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I do have an Esko plugin. What now? Will Adobe fix this? 

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 07.29.57.png

Thanks.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, we're are currently working on this issue. I would request if you could share this folder with us via Creative Cloud (similar service). This will help us replicate this issue at our end and resolve it accordingly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regards,

Plug-ins fron Esko software (used for prepress services) can be downloaded from here:

https://www.esko.com/en/support/downloadsandlicenses/free-software.

This set of tools installs helper menus and windows to check color separations, attributes for pdf files to send for RIP stations (screen degrees, and others).

Thank for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Srishti Bali: Looking for this problem, I discovered that if you are saving files with the "Create PDF Compatible File" option, Illustrator displays this error. If you disable PDF compatibility, Illustrator saves as a charm: faster and does not ask twice to save the file. Another situation is that, with PDF support, Illustrator confuses and saves the file as many times as you press Cmd-S, meanwhile, in the normal save, the application only saves in the first one. (As it should be and always was).

Yes, due to our work, we need to save with this option checked sometimes.

This is only to understand when this occurs. Hopefully Adobe finds the solution.

Regards, RubCol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Srishti,

What does the "PDF Compatibilty" function do?

Does this mean I can't save it as a pdf in the future, after saving it this way?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What does the "PDF Compatibilty" function do?"

Please see how the file format works: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charu,

You are absolutely right: the problem is Esko's tools. I uninstalled them and the problem goes away. I will have to contact Esko support, because my work is based on the use of those plugIns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, you are able to figure it out. 🙂

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You mentioned 

"If you disable PDF compatibility, Illustrator saves as a charm: faster and does not ask twice to save the file."

Could you please confirm, at this moment , plugins from Esko, or third party plugin also open and in the Illustrator?

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charu (again).

The problem is resolved by Esko, but ... the patch is obtained through the Esko sales and maintenance representative. It is not publicly accessible. 😢
When I have more information, I will tell you.
Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Unable to save my files using keyboard (Cmd + S) or menu (File - Save).

I have to close the file and say yes to the window asking Save - No - Cancel.

But the recording mention on the ID of the file window appears, the * stays afterwards.

I use the latest version of Illustrator CC and Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 on an iMac mid-2011. Everything's work fine otherwise.

Any idea?

Thanks, cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please provide more information

• Is there any error while you are trying to save the document?
  • Is * sign there before you try save using Cmd+S or File-Save.
  • Are you using any third party plugin?

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

• No error while saving
  • Yes the sign * is there before (and after)
  • I have the Esko plugin (but not working as I used the tryout version), should it be the problem?

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it may problem for showing * after save. So for this issue, if you can uninstall the plugin to validate this, that will be great. And for another issue, I would suggest you to try resetting the preferences of the Illustrator.

Let us know if this helps.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines