• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 giving error while copy- pasting object to Photoshop. Error: CANF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't copy/paste objects from Illustrator to Photoshop.

When I paste into Photoshop, Photoshop hangs until I go back to Illustrator and click okay on error popup. The error pop up is "The operation can not complete because of unknow error. (CANF)".

I am using the latest updates of all software. I can copy from Illustrator to InDesign. I have restarted the computer and both applications. This worked in the 2019 versions with a problem.

Is this a known issue? I posted in the Photoshop forum too. I wasn't sure which users we be able to comment on this issue.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Hi Eric,

Thanks for reaching out and highlighting this. Could you please confirm if you are using any custom PDF presets? If yes, please try following these steps and let us know how it goes:

1. Go to Edit > Adobe PDF Presets
2. Check PDF compatibility of PDF presets that are not default.
3. Make a note of presets that use PDF compatibility version 1.3

Compatibility of PDF presets Ai.png

4. Quit Illustrator
5. Navigate to user presets folder 
   Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Win: appdata

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

I have an update for you. We have fixed this issue in our latest release (v 24.0.1). If you are not already on v 24.0.1, then we recommend you to update to the latest version and let us know how it goes.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Instead of “latest”, can you give us the numbers?

Mac: Application menu > About

Win: Help > About

And your operating system and version?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 21.0.1

Illustrator 24.0

InDesign 15.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

Thanks for reaching out and highlighting this. Could you please confirm if you are using any custom PDF presets? If yes, please try following these steps and let us know how it goes:

1. Go to Edit > Adobe PDF Presets
2. Check PDF compatibility of PDF presets that are not default.
3. Make a note of presets that use PDF compatibility version 1.3

Compatibility of PDF presets Ai.png

4. Quit Illustrator
5. Navigate to user presets folder 
   Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Win: appdata\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings
6. Move the presets identified in step 3 out of this folder
7. Launch Illustrator and check how it works.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!!

This was going to set off a huge chain of production issues. Thanks for the fix!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!
I'm having this same issue on a tight deadline >_<
I've tried your suggestion but none of my presets say 1.3, it says 1.4
I went into my library regardless to see if there were any other documents in the settings folder but it's empty

I'm working with photoshop 22.3.1 and Illustrator 25.2.3

Please help, thank you!!

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.00.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.00.41 AM.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a keyboard problem, it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error. Are you on an M1 Mac? My Photoshop hangs all the time and is very slow upon opening too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem absolutely every time I tried to copy/paste from Illustrator (24) to Photoshop (21) -- exactly as described by the original poster. I have been through my PDF Presets but none of them say they are PDF compatibility 1.3. 

What can I do to solve the problem? For the moment I have just had to uninstall the new Illustrator and Photoshop (even without this problem, the new Photoshop crashes every few minutes). But I am already seeing files come in that are produced in new versions and when I open them in CC2019 I get error messages and lose layer information in Illustrator.

This is on a mac, OS 10.14..6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps, but I deleted all the ones I made and left just the adobe presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an update for you. We have fixed this issue in our latest release (v 24.0.1). If you are not already on v 24.0.1, then we recommend you to update to the latest version and let us know how it goes.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Photoshop 21.0.1 / Illustrator 24.0.1 / Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

When i paste a vector form illustartor and create a vector smaatr object i cannot edit.

It opens illustrator with Text import box.

I can see the smart object file in the Temp folder. Its a file wit .ai extension and Illustrator icon, but when u open it, text import appears.

When i paste in photoshop no options appear anymore (smart obejct, Pixel, Path, Shape layer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about this. Will it be possible for you share a sample file and exact workflow you are following? This will help us replicate the issue at our end and troubleshoot accordingly.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm also having the same issue. No matter what I try to copy paste from InDesign, nothing happens when I try to paste into Illustrator or Photoshop. I am working on Catalina as the OSX and InDesign version 15.0.0, Illustrator 24.0.3 and Photoshop 21.0.3. Is there any fix for this? It's getting really frustrating. I've tried all the solutions previously mentioned on the forums such as uninstalls/reinstalls; removing preferences/workspaces; removing any PDF presets showing as 1.3 etc. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for a different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines