• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2021 won't open linked images with the right version of Photoshop

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a bit of a niche bug but I've discovered that my copy of Illustrator 2021 will only open linked images in photoshop 2015.5 when I click the 'edit in Photoshop' button.

I've had a look at my Illustrator preferences and can't see any setting to change it.
I've also changed my OS prefrences to open PSDs with Photoshop 2021 as well.

I've never seen this bug and it's only come up since the 'edit in photohsop' button appeared. It used to say 'edit original'. Even doing the dropdown menu does the same.

And no, I can't delete the older versions of Photoshop. Its a work machine, we work with older files from time to time, for production reasons. Saving to legacy can cause issues.

Running Mac OSX Big Sur (11.5.2) on a 2017 retina iMac with an intel quad i7, 40gb Ram and a Radeon 580 8gb model.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I would suggest you toggle "Use System Defaults for "Edit Originals" in preferences (cmd + k).

Anshul_Saini_0-1631557938961.png

If this doesn't help, you may open/ install the Bridge application from Creative Cloud and open its preferences (cmd + k) > File Type Associations > Check and make sure Photoshop 2021 is selected in every file association, which can be open in Photoshop.

Anshul_Saini_1-1631558182468.png

If this doesn't help either, you may try resetting Illustrator (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I would suggest you toggle "Use System Defaults for "Edit Originals" in preferences (cmd + k).

Anshul_Saini_0-1631557938961.png

If this doesn't help, you may open/ install the Bridge application from Creative Cloud and open its preferences (cmd + k) > File Type Associations > Check and make sure Photoshop 2021 is selected in every file association, which can be open in Photoshop.

Anshul_Saini_1-1631558182468.png

If this doesn't help either, you may try resetting Illustrator (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) and Photoshop 2021 & 2015 (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#:~:text=Reset%20Photoshop%20preferences) preferences.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator & Photoshop apps will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the articles.

Let us know how it goes. We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! "Use System Defaults for "Edit Originals" worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Glad to hear it worked for you, @atelier-ma. Please don't hesitate and feel free to reach out if you run into any issues or queries in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great you flipped that setting. Remember to change for each file format (eg: jpg, png, psd, tif, eps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, 

I had the same issue and I finally got it solved. When importing an image into your Illustrator file from PS, make sure to click the LINK checkbox at the bottom before clicking okay and importing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, in Illustrator, fo to  File > PLACE then select the image/file you want to place, and click on it once, and then once highlighted, check off the box that says LINK at the bottom before confirming "PLACE" (to import).

This should work, it did for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys, 

I had the same issue and I finally got it solved. When importing an image into your Illustrator file from PS, make sure to click the LINK checkbox at the bottom before clicking okay and importing it. 

By @abzhakim

Your post is not related to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines