• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2022 - Can't double click or right/context click to open ai files on Monterey 12.0.1

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double clicking on an ai file in finder OR context/right clicking on the file and selecting "Open" or "Open with>illustrator 2022" doesn't work on Mac Monterey 12.0.1.  The only way I can open files is to drag/drop from finder or use the open command in illustrator.  I'd think this is a Mac bug, and maybe it is, but illustrator is the only application file type with this problem.

Illustrator files are the only files affected.  All other filetypes open their respective application when double clicked in finder.  The file association in finder shows illustrator 2022 as the default app.  However, if I click on the dropdown menu for default applications and click on ai 2022 again, I get the error: 

You can’t change the item “MS 1 A0 Corp ID Podium.ai” to always open in the selected application. & 

The item is either locked or damaged, or in a folder you don’t have permission to modify (error code 2).

I suspect the open issue is something corrupt w/ filetype handling, BUT, this issue was caused by upgrading to Monterey.  I shouldn't have to remap file associations at all and this has never happened with previous versions of ai or mac os.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using that system and don't have issues opening AI files by double clicking them.

From which system did you upgrade? Monterey 12.0 or some older system?

Exactly where is the file located?

You maybe need to check and repair your user privileges on that system.

You maybe need to reinstall Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to know if the steps suggested above by @Monika Gause worked for you? If not, I would request you to share a few more details like:

Could you please share a few more details like:

• Confirm the exact version of Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where are is this file saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
    When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Also, you may try the following steps to give permissions correctly to the file(s) or folder:

1. Control-click the folder/file or right-click the folder/file and click on "Get Info".
  2. If the item is locked, click the lock icon to enter an administrator's name and password.
  3. In the Sharing & Permissions section below, from the Name column, select your name (or a user profile). If your name or user profile is not visible, then click on the + icon to add the User/Administrator and click select.
  4. From the Privilege column, choose Read & Write.
  5. In any subsequent prompt, choose to apply permission to all subfolders as well.
  6. Click the lock icon to save your preferences.
  7. Double click on the file now to open it in Illustrator 2022.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a little more info to add.

• Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 (Upgraded from Catalina)
  • Illustrator 26.0.1
  • Opening files from a NAS (Synology diskstation AFP)

Now that I've been running this setup for a little while longer, the issue seems intermitent.  It "seems" to be corrected by a restart of the system.  I haven't had the time to troubleshoot exactly when the issue occurs (e.g. after X hours, other application usage etc.).  There are times where everything works as expected and other times the only way I can open a file(s) is to drag+drop on the application icon in the dock.

So far illustrator is the only application with this behavior.  PS works as expected (double click or context click + open or open with).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, one last thing, it's not file specific.  When it occurs, no file (locally on the mac or from the NAS) can be opened by double clicking or context click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. It seems like some third-party application is interfering with Illustrator. Have you tried giving the permission as mentioned above? If not, please check out the small video clip on how to give Full Disk Access to Illustrator. Also, when this happens, open Activity Monitor and close any third-party apps and services one by one, and check if you are able to open locally saved files Illustrator files by double-clicking or right-clicking the files.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the exact same problem with the exact same setup. Updated to Monterey from Mojave, installed latest Adobe applications, NAS nor local will open by double clicking or right clicking, BUT, had the same issue with Archive Utility this morning. Could not double click on zip file to open, nor right click. Had to open from within application open menu item. So maybe not Adobe related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue of late but with Photoshop.

As far as I can see, there are no updates available.

I'm running:

• macOS Monterey 12.2.1
  • Photoshop 23.1.1

As a workaround I drag the files from finder into Photoshop to open them.

Double clicking, nor file/right clicking and 'opening', will open the file.

This is happening across the board, with all files stored in various locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I face the same issue from time to time. Restarting (Command key pressed while clicking the finder Icon of Finder in Dock) Finder will fix it for the current session.

It will always work on start up but get corrupt after a while, it's annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens to me every single day with psd files running 12.3.1, usually in the afternoon after working normally for several hours. Restarting the Finder or computer seems to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello All,

I was struggling with this issue for about a week and finally found the solution.

Go to your Library > Preferences folder and delete all the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist files. Do this for all applications not launching when clicking the files or the apps themselves. 

PS: To go to your library: Go to the Finder window, the the Go menu and hold your option key "⌥" for  the Library option to become visible.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines