Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator and Illustrator Beta Crashing on macOS Sonoma

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the title says it all, but here's an overview:

I recently installed the macOS Sonoma Beta. Since installing, both Illustrator and Illustrator Beta can no longer save any file—not jpg, png, svg, ai, pdf, or any other format. I have tried export as, and save as, but both result in my Illustrator app force crashing without any prompt, spinning wheel of death, or any other indicator that it is about to crash. In attempts to resolve this, I have force quit them, uninstalled and reinstalled, and also restart my laptop. Absolutely nothing has worked other than uninstalling and reinstalling; however, in order to save one file I have to uninstall and reinstall every single time.

Is there any solution to this?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Hey Anshul,

I appreciate you responding! To fix this, I had wiped my computer of the macOS 14 beta and downgraded it back to the previous OS. Since then, everything has been working smoothly. I am looking forward to using OS 14 once things are stable 🙂

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign, Lightroom, and Photoshop all run perfectly, export perfectly, and have no crash issues. It is solely Illustrator that is having these issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues.  I've downgraded to lower versions as well and still having the same issues.  This has put most of my work at a hault.  I've tried every work around mentioned from the last few years and nothing works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say downgraded to lower versions, do you mean you have reverted your OS back to 13?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I downgraded the Adobe Illustrator versions to an older version before it started crashing.

I'm not running the Beta Sonoma, I'm running the latest OS without Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't run beta software on productive systems.

And then also: only install a beta system, when all your applications will be able to run on it. Adobe will make a public announcement when that's the case.

If you want to give feedback about the prerelease and want to contribute to development, I would suggest you apply for joining the prerelease: adobeprerelease.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not running beta versions of anything and I am still having the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread.

Tell us the  exact version, system and hardware you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @blrhode,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing crashing issues with Adobe Illustrator, even after downgrading to older versions and not using any beta versions. It's definitely frustrating when these technical issues disrupt your workflow.

To better assist you, could you provide more details about the crashing behavior? Specifically:

• What is the exact version of Adobe Illustrator & OS you are currently using?
  • Are there any specific actions you're performing in Illustrator that consistently trigger the crashes?
  • Do you have any third-party antivirus or security software running on your system that might be interfering with Illustrator's operations?

With this information, it would be easier to diagnose the root cause of the issue and provide more targeted troubleshooting steps. Additionally, if you have any crash logs or error messages, those would also be helpful in identifying the problem.

I understand the frustration that technical issues like this can cause, and I'm here to help you find a solution. Please provide the requested details, and we'll do our best to assist you further.

Best regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LukeF

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're facing with Illustrator 27.8.1 crashing while saving. Our product team is aware of this issue and is actively working with Apple to ensure a smoother experience once the macOS Sonoma update becomes available to the general public. Until then, using a stable version of macOS such as macOS Ventura or Monterey should help mitigate the crashing problem.

I understand that this situation can be frustrating, and I appreciate your patience as the teams work on resolving these compatibility issues.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Anshul,

I appreciate you responding! To fix this, I had wiped my computer of the macOS 14 beta and downgraded it back to the previous OS. Since then, everything has been working smoothly. I am looking forward to using OS 14 once things are stable 🙂

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should not really be marked as a Solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should not really be marked as a Solution.

By @Gia34226220o0lz

You have seen the date of the post and that it was about the beta?

You simply cannot expect to have a smooth experience on a beta. Particularly not on an Apple beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding: I too an running the latest Sonoma and Illustrator is totally unusable. It was crashing on save, now it won't even open. I'm dead in the water now...

Just saying...

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration, @nicko78364513. To help you better, could you please provide the exact version of Illustrator you are using, along with the specific build number of the Sonoma macOS on your Mac? This information will assist in diagnosing the issue and finding a solution to make Illustrator work smoothly on your system.

Also, please confirm the exact location where you are trying to save files: Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD.

Once you provide these details, we'll do our best to assist you further. Thank you for your patience.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a user with this same issue, her computer's mac display gave out so the apple store is fixing that but I gave her a newer macbook pro with current macos and illustrator and it is starting to crash as well..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Edgar33267050zd3z,

Thank you for sharing the experience of the user with Illustrator crashing on macOS Sonoma. I understand that you've seen this issue on multiple Mac devices.

• To further investigate and find a solution, it would be helpful to have more details and specific information about these crashes. Could you please provide the following information:
  • Crash Report: Share crash logs by following these steps: (https://adobe.ly/3SqyJIT). While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.
    These reports can provide valuable information about the nature of the crashes.
  • Scenario: Are these crashes happening under specific conditions, such as working on a particular file, using specific tools, or applying certain effects? Providing details about the scenarios in which the crashes occur can help pinpoint the issue.
  • System Details: Please share information about the Mac devices you've experienced these crashes on. Include details about the model, macOS version, and any hardware configurations or external devices connected to them.

By gathering this information, we can better understand the nature of the crashes and work toward finding a resolution. Thank you for your cooperation, and I look forward to assisting you in resolving this matter.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I am facing same problems, same issues with any version of Illustrator, actually I´ve upgraded to Sonoma thinking this may help, but not. Please I need to solve this ASAP, because affect my daily productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can´t even start Illustrator. See attched image, same issue all time, every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please uninstall all Adobe beta apps that you might have. Reboot. Does it work then?

If not, you will need to uninstall, run the Adobe Cleaner tool and reinstall https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your help. Solved.

Nicolas Salazar Fernández

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I hope someone can help me solve this issue. It’s been about ten days now that every time I open Adobe Illustrator Beta, after working for about two minutes, the program closes and I get kicked out. I can't figure out what the problem is. This doesn't happen with the regular Illustrator, only with the Beta version. It's really frustrating and is bothering me a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report problems with Illustrator beta versions here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/939477-illustrator-desktop-beta-bugs

Try if uninstalling and re installing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re installing was not solve this problemj.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @bardiaelmi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind removing Illustrator (beta) again, also removing the preferences, and then reinstalling it to see if it helps?

If the problem persists, kindly try the suggestions shared in this help article (https://adobe.ly/4cKE5Fq) and see if they help. Also, kindly submit the crash report using your Adobe email address and share it here for quick tracking. Steps are shared here: (https://adobe.ly/4cYClIY). We appreciate your time and patience in helping us resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines