• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Appearances - Most Basic Effects Are Missing

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was shocked when I realised that most basic color filters are missing in the appearance tab in Illustrator.

Sure, blur and drop shadows are nice, but instead of Mosaic and Oil Painting filters I need a simple Hue and Saturation Filter. Maybe throw in contrast and brightness too?

I tried to desaturate my group of objects through the drop down menu options (Edit -> Edit Colors -> Saturate) but this changes only objects with colors assigned and NOT patterns. Also this is destructive modifying. Absolutely useless.

Is there a way to add in custom, actually useful effects?

50yl6h.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Just for the sake of rounding out the topic I'll add the option of SVG Filter live effect. It keeps the underlying artwork as vector but converts it to raster for output, so probably isn't what you need.

If you choose Effect > SVG Filters > Apply SVG Filter you can create a new filter named, for example, Hue Rotation and enter the following markup:

<filter  filterUnits="objectBoundingBox" height="100%" id="HueTest" width="100%" x="0%" y="0%">
	<feColorMatrix  in="SourceGraphic" type="hueRotate" 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick Update 2:
I'm giving affinity designer a try. So far it does everything better than Illustrator, regardig infills and effects.

It comes with useful effects out of the box. It even allows you to scale and position infill patterns to your liking:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-17 um 10.09.49.png

It also features all useful filters within the appearance tab:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-17 um 10.11.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You didn't want to use Photoshop (and Smart Objects), because that workflow will give you pixels.

Well, that's what Affinity does. When you apply these effects to your vector artwork, you will get pixels in the output file. Even when your artwork is just some basic paths with flat fills or strokes and even when you output PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines