• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator - art showing in preview but not when file opened

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a file in AI CC, which I installed recently.  Saved periodically for a couple of days.  Now when I open that file, the content visiible in AI is what I saved from the early in the creation process.  What's weird is if I look at the file using preview - the thumbnail that shows which file to open - I can see all the recent work.  I can also see the 6 artboards with the objects & text  I expect when I preview with Mac Finder, or in Acrobat.  But when I open the file in AI, only 3 artboards have objects and they are not the current work.

I have tried:

• Checking that all layers and sublayers are visible
  • Saving the stunted open file to a new name, when I open that same thing not newest version. But then the preview matches only 3 artboards.
  • File, Place
  • Closing AI and restarting it
  • Shutting down my Mac an restarting it
  • Opening the file in Photoshop - this DOES show me all 6 "pages" and I can open, but of course they are converted to bitmap not editable vector
  • Opening the file in AI CS6 - still only 3 artboards visible
  • Giving the file to a colleague to open with their installation of AI CC; they get the same - not the current artwork only 3 artboards
  • Restoring from backups Time Machine and also Dropbox Version History.  Earlier files have the same problem even though they too show more recent changes in preview.
  • Following all the steps in Adobe's advice on corrupt files with the exception of changing all fills & strokes to one color and all text to one font because then what's the use?

What else should I try?

Anyone else experienced this and did anything work or did you just have to recreate the file?

Having to create all that work is a problem, but a bigger problem would be if this is a bug and it happens again.  If something about AI CC is going to be unreliable, not sure I can use it.

I would appreciate any assist, thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Hi,

I understand your concern, several other users have also recommended the same. I would request if you can share your feedback here at our Adobe Illustrator Feedback form. This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same frustrating issue just occurred to me! Come on Adobe, we are in 2023 now! 

I am absolutely certain that I had saved my file, and it even displays the updated thumbnail with my artwork. However, upon opening it, I'm greeted with an outdated version of the file. I'm in desperate need of assistance! I've lost hours of painstaking work! Can anyone please help me resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @silviak86719743,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, whether the file is a cloud document or locally saved, and if it is saved locally the folder location, so we can investigate this further? Also, if it is a cloud document, kindly try reverting to an older version of it (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/open-revert-cloud-document-version.html) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines