• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator artboard height & width options not showing in control panel/options bar

Contributor ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to modify the dimensions of an artboard per an exercise, but the instructor's options across the top have height and width boxes enabling one to make the adjustments.

Height & width are available in menu at top.

I only have the x and y dimensions available. If I go into Edit Artboards and change the dimensions, I end up with a strange result. Here is before adjusting size:

In Edit Artboard:

After clicking "OK":

I get a white selection around the shirt, but it seems within a larger whiteboard.

How do I get the height/width options in the menu bar at the top, or another work-around to accomplish getting the blue shirt on its own artboard?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Just for fun, I experimented with your file (which I was given when I was a TA at MAX). You found a bug, and I was able to reproduce it in 2017 and 2015. I also found a workaround.

1. If you use the Control panel W and H, there is no bug.

2. If you have one Artboard and scale it as you did, everything turns white as you and I both saw.

Here is my dialog box before okay:

I click okay and get what you got:

3. The fix that I found is go to Prefs > User Interface > Select something else > reselect the on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sheana,

Please select a different workspace and check. It might also be possible that the resolution of your screen is not letting all the options to show up. If that does not help, you can reset that preferences. In order to do that, Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unforgivable that Adobe has hidden the most essential information needed to work in a document.

I've been using Illustrator since version 1, and for some reason, I can never find these values. I've been wasting precious time trying to find the document measurements, and nothing on the web is helpful or accurate or useful in locating the document dimensions.  There is plenty of room in the first dialogue box. Why does the user need to drill several windows deep to find this information? I cannot find them. This is infuriatingly bad UI design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reason, they're hidden by default, even after requesting them by clicking on "Edit Artboards". 
You need to get out of "Essentials" mode to find essential information. This mode should be permanently removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Om remarked, your screen might be too small to show these options.

And to get rid of the white space around the artboard selection, switch to a Selection Tool or any tool than the Artboard Tool after clicking OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me -- like Om and Ton suspected, it was due to the resolution. I guess some new option on the artboard bar pushed the height and width away. I'm on a Macbook, so I begrudgingly have moved to a 1440x900 resolution in System Preferences > Displays > Scaled. But I hope they make the menus editable so I can go back to my normal 1280x800.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have put the additional "Pixel align" control in the control panel.

You can configure the control panel. It has a menu to the far rigth  where you can uncheck options, so the other options have more room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of -- "Artboard" is one of the options in that far-right control panel menu, so it's not granular enough to change anything on the artboard bar itself. The only thing that works is de-selecting the "Object Type" option, which is admittedly something I won't miss, but I wish the individual menus were a bit more customizable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked some options I don't need from the Control bar and saved the workspace (I gave it the name "Less is More").

That brought  back the Width and height options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a large enough monitor, make the window a little wider and you will see the controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for fun, I experimented with your file (which I was given when I was a TA at MAX). You found a bug, and I was able to reproduce it in 2017 and 2015. I also found a workaround.

1. If you use the Control panel W and H, there is no bug.

2. If you have one Artboard and scale it as you did, everything turns white as you and I both saw.

Here is my dialog box before okay:

I click okay and get what you got:

3. The fix that I found is go to Prefs > User Interface > Select something else > reselect the one you prefer > Okay

There may be other fixes, but this worked.

It seems to be changing the Canvas color to White as in the olden days and needs to be kicked back.

4. Report it as a bug:

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e wrote:

If you have a large enough monitor, make the window a little wider and you will see the controls

Of course, you will have more space to see more options.

But strong_bad mentioned that he was on a Macbook (and I am as well) so removing options (or scaling the display resolution) is the only way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton, I started at the top with the OP's question—which I now see was a month ago—and did not realize you were addressing an NP (new poster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 6.18.04 PM.pngI am facing the same problem too. please let me know if you have found the solution. I have tried all the suggestions but the problem still remains.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not try all the suggestions above, or maybe you did but forgot to turn off the Snap to Pixel option in the Control Panel.

It's still visible in your screendump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI !

I have turned it off the snap to pixel option. It still does not show the

width and height option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 9.41.06 PM.png

Snap to pixel option is not ticked. Also in the panel above you only get x and y value option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn it off in the Control panel to make more space.

snap.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much ! I also unticked Object Type. I got it now. Thanks again.Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.15.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that solved it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines