• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator auto-backup folder error "We're unable to save your file for auto-backup."

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this error, have tried to change the location of the folder to several places where I am sure permissions are for everyone to read-write, with no luck. Anyone else having this problem? And figured out how to solve it? 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

I missed your comment my first time reading this thread, but I noticed the same issue for myself. Here's how I changed the folder.

1. Go to Illustrator File Handling preferences

2. Select "Choose..."

3. On Mac, press Cmd+Shift+G

4. Type in this path exactly:

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings/en_US/Data Recovery

5. Choose that folder

6. Select "OK" in the preferences window, and you're done!

You might also need to navigate to that same folder in Finder and enable "Rea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using latest Adobe Illustrator CC on MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 on a Macbook Pro M1 16"

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 09.19.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a plug-in installed for auto-backup?

In Preferences > File Handling there is only mention of Recovery Data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not. Nor any other plug-ins. Clean installed this Macbook 3 months ago. 

But I agree it is strange that the dialog box says auto-backup while the prefs say use the word Recovery. 

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 08.58.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, since updating to 26. Watching for a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue since updating to Illustrator 26.1 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on Windows 10, v26.1. Changing the folder doesn't do anything.

Even if I never have to use auto-recovery(or whatever they call it on a given menu/warning) the constant message is annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My whole company 35+ users on M1 MacBook Pros are having this same issue. Please resolve ASAP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, I am no longer getting this error, and I just created a document with a random shape, force quit Illustrator and when I reopened it the document was recovered. 

I am trying to figure out what may have changed since the problem started. The only thing that comes to mind is my MacBook had a hard crash and so my system has been rebooted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible your hard crash forced Illy to rebuild prefs?

Did everyone try to reset prefs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preferences weren't reset in any way, so that wasn't what fixed my problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Sorry about this trouble. This looks like a permissions issue on the Data Recovery folder. Please provide read and write access to data recovery folder on the following locations. Steps are shared here:

On macOS:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings/en_US*/DataRecovery

On Windows:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings\en_US\x64\DataRecovery

Do try these steps and share your observations with us.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav, 

Thanks for posting. This was the first thing I tried and it did not solve the problem. 

I then proceeded to choose a different folder and also made sure the permissions were correctly set. This also didn't make the alerts stop. 

For some other reason, the problem has stopped for me. But as stated above, I cannot discover what the solution was. Maybe somebody else can be more helpful? I'd also be happy to share any logs, but was unable to find anything that seemed relevant in there myself.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that your problem was solved.

Please keep monitoring the application and get in touch with us if the problem re-surfaces. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I updated to 26.1 on my Mac. I just started using the program today and immediately started to get this message. I moved the folder that did not help. I checked the permissions and they are "Read & Write" for me. Obviously this is related to the update. I always cringe when I do these updates bcause many time they interupt my workflow, this one was no exception.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue seems to have resolved itself since the last post. I didn't change anything since then it just stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On macOS:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings/en_US*/DataRecovery

That folder is not on my mac, at least I can't find it. This far I get.

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-31 om 13.49.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Customer Care. They can login to your system and check it out.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this issue as well. When I go into my preferences, it's still linked to a version 24 directory in the libaryar, which no longer exists:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings/en_US*/DataRecovery
…but I have been unable to change it to the "Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings" directory because the Illustrator file finder interface does not allow me to navigate to the Library direcotory, or even manually type in a directory path.Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 11.25.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't need to be in the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed your comment my first time reading this thread, but I noticed the same issue for myself. Here's how I changed the folder.

1. Go to Illustrator File Handling preferences

2. Select "Choose..."

3. On Mac, press Cmd+Shift+G

4. Type in this path exactly:

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings/en_US/Data Recovery

5. Choose that folder

6. Select "OK" in the preferences window, and you're done!

You might also need to navigate to that same folder in Finder and enable "Read & Write" access for the folder.

This seemed to fix the problem for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this! I missed your reply, as well. And for those reading along, the alternate workaround I discovered is that you can drag and drop the proper path into the field as well. So I had navigated to chosen preferences folder in the finder (revealing Library in the finder Go menu by holding down the option key), then dragged the folder into Illustrator's "Choose…" field. This also seemed to do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTE: Be sure to select the Illustrator version you're currently using (I'm using 27 now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have a Mac Big Sur 11.6.4. Didn't install yet the newest version because I saw there are many crashes with the update to Monterey. Macbook pro 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still have the same issue even after the last update, I lost so many files because of this issue. I'm starting to get angry. Illustrator is the only one that when it crashes isn't doing the auto-recovery. This is getting out of hand. 

Illustrator v26.2.1.

I have a Macbook pro 15" 2018 with a Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 Go Capture d’écran 2022-04-08 à 04.39.17.png

Capture d’écran 2022-04-08 à 04.32.09.png

Please fix this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines