• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator can't finish previewing; not a memory issue

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Illustrator CC and I am trying to work on a simple illustration but it has switched itself to outline mode and will not return to pixel or overprint preview. It gives the error "Can't finish previewing. Could not complete the requested operation." The common cause of this problem is lack of memory or insufficient scratch disk space, but my computer has 8GB of very fast RAM and my scratch disks are mostly empty and multiple terabytes each. My document is fairly simple; I am making speedo and tachometer gauges for my car, so the illustration is simply lines, guides, and a small amount of type on a single artboard, and one low-resolution .jpg I am using as a template. One thread I found suggested that TrueType fonts can cause a problem for Illustrator so I changed all the type to an OpenType font to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Specs:

Windows 8 Pro

Intel Core i3 at 3.35Ghz

8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

GeForce 560 GTX

Illustrator CC installed on 2TB, 7200RPM drive; this drive is also my primary scratch disk

Secondary scratch disk is a 1.5TB USB3.0 external

System drive is a 128GB SSD so I do not want to use it as a scratch disk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not certain that waas such a wise move to install the app on anyything other than the startup disk.

You have plentyof room on the SSD drive to install all the applications you want. and then use the second internal drive as the rimary scratch and the external drive as you secondary as you have.

Why did you install AI on a non system disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had uncomfortable brushes with full system drives in past, and Win8 used nearly half of my SSD. I also dislike having things scattered about, which will necessarily happen if I fill the system drive. Why should it matter that Illustrator is installed somewhere else?

Additional note: I was able to work with this illustration for nearly two straight hours before it decided to lock itself into outline mode, not sure if that tells you anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8 shouldn't take up even close to half of a 128GB SSD unless it's loaded with bloatware being a Dell/HP/etc. install which should get reformatted first thing to remove.

I've had more bad than good luck installing Adobe programs on a separate drive.  Illustrator will always perform better on an SSD than a HDD.  That alone should be reason enough to keep it on a system drive.  Surely you can spare 5-10 GB to get Illustrator on a fast drive, if not, you should really consider making room

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it does. Virgin Win8 install in a home-built machine on a brand-new SSD; no bloatware of any sort, and I have expressly avoided installing anything that wasn't already there on the system drive. Nontheless, 54GB of 111GB used, and I'm hesitant to use any more. I realize there is room but there shortly will not be if I have to install every Adobe app I regularly use there. Is there any way to make it play nice? It is extremely aggravating to be unable to use the software for which I am paying in the way that is most convenient for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's you user profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\Users\Dan\etc etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's one of the problems. AI likes to access the stuff in your user profile and has to access it to write the new versions of the preferences on quit. It's easily confused when stuff isn't where it's supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to redirect it and/or tell it not to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to create symbolic links but I don't have a great deal of information on exactly how on a Windows setup. I've worked on a Mac for 25 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire Adobe folder on my system drive is symlinked to the actual install location on I:, so apparently that does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempted to clean uninstall and reinstall on the system drive, same error. Anyone from Adobe want to fill me in on why the product I'm paying for is functionally broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the Illustrator installation to the same drive as the system folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart your computer, did that make this go faster?

You most likley have a conlficting process that corrupts your memory. By restarting you flush our your ram and only startup items are loaded. If you still have the problem after restart you should look at your process manager, and kill any process that looks suspicous, that is getting loaded on startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did restart expressly to try that with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved: it was a text element causing a problem in that document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font was it?  The InDesign folks have be battling crashing issues with Fonts since CC was released.  Hopefully this isn't going to start popping up with Illustrator as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread is long outdated, but I have this problem fairly regularly lately and it's driving me crazy. Do you remember anything about the text element that was causing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an ongoing problem with memory/graphics cards that adobe still hasn't fixed. there's plenty of topics on here about illustrator switching to outline mode because it says there isn't enough memory. it's a fault with illustrator, adobe need to sort..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, that's so frustrating. Usually it's not a huuuge deal, because I can just save everything and close/reopen illustrator and I'm able to switch back to preview. It's more annoying than anything. but it does break my flow and concentration a bit. Occasionally though, Illustrator crashes immediately after I close the error message, and I lose the last 10-15 minutes of work, and that is much more damaging to my productivity. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Are you still facing this issue with AI CC 19.2.1 ? If yes & will it be possible for you to help us to isolate this further.

Then can you please drop an email to rbhunwal@adobe.com

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuveer Singh

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most people are having this issue with 19.2.1 - you must be aware of this. this has been happening for months and adobe should have resolved it by now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same problem in 2020. Any advice on how to solve it? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I experience the same problem in 2020. Any advice on how to solve it? Thanks."

Please tell us what exactly you are experiencing. Which hardware specifications? Which system? How large is your file and what is in it? When was your last computer restart?

And you also want to create a new thread, because it's incredibly hard to discuss in old threads or even find your new post (which is not your fault).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines