• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2014 extremely choppy. Please help.

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought an iMac 5k Retina Base model with Yosemite installed. All other CC applications work like a breeze except illustrator. Illustrator is extremely choppy and almost unworkable. Can someone help me out?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

SeanJM,

I just updated to CC 2015 and Illustrator is back to being snappy, responsive, and smooth on a 5k Retina iMac!

After installation, a pop-up of "Compatible GPU detected" auto-enabled the new Mac GPU settings.

If this didn't automatically happen for you, go to:

Illustrator CC > Preferences > GPU Performance - and check the box labeled "GPU Performance".

Thank you to the Adobe team for getting the engine updated!

I can safely recommend Creative Cloud to 5K Retina iMac users now.

Edit: This was usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 199 Replies 199
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know how to do it is checking the 'Open in Low Resolution' box in the application 'get info' tab. See screenshot:

http://tinypic.com/r/15pr0op/8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is Correct, i'm using all programs in Low Res and they are working flawless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here,

Get your stuff together Adobe! People need to earn their bread with your software!

This is very annoying when someone needs to speed-create 30 illustrations before the deadline at the end of the day!

Update:

I just turned "smart guides" off... things go much smoother... unfortunately, I like smart guides 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also like to work with smart guides butI do not have mine turned on and it is still impossible to work on my adobe products. In another thread one of the Adobe "staff" said they are not aware of any issues with adobe products and macbook pro retina and it must be a problem with my computer.  There are literally thousands upon thousands of postthroughout the internet on this exact topic....  All are Adobe products from Illustrator to PS to PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not just with Illustrator butwith many ifnot all of the Adobe productions using new macbookpro retina...  I am not able to use my brand new macbook pro retina with any of my Adobe products including PSE 13!  My 5 year old macbook will run the programs much better than my brand new one. Unlike you, I upgraded the specs on my new macbook pro retina butit does not matter.  There is a big problem rendering our macbook pro's useless with the Adobe products as they are. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too. I keep waiting for an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here on my 5k iMac. Illustrator is the worst, but Photoshop and Indesign aren't much better. Really hope this gets fixed soon, otherwise whats the use of using legit software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a little test:

Open a new document and add one line of text in Illustrator CS5, CS6 and CC2014.

Zooming and panning is by far the smoothest with CS5, almost 100% smooth.

CS6 and CC2014 remain very choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can attest to this as well. I have running CC204 Illustrator. v18.1.1

On a Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15in with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

When Running Illustrator on the internal retina at any resolution 1440x900 - 1920x1080 i get interface lag on all tools. This doesn't just effect my large print files filled with patterns and layers but also simpler web assets hat are largely line art.

I get less lag when i use the screen at 1280x800 scaled resolution, but whats the point of that?

My current fix is never work in laptop mode, but only in clamshell mode when pugged into an external display.... which then defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

I have moved all my personal work now from Illustrator to alternatives such as Sketch, and Affinity Designer... neither of which suffer any lag on the retina displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Months pass and still no update for this f*king retina.

I'm sure you have not enough resources to provide a suite that is worth the price you're asking.

Congratulations Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this from Adobe?

Come on Adobe, you take our monthly subscriptions for CC or are you going to offer a reduced CC subscription for iMac Retina owners...

I need a new iMac & looks like I will need to get the non 5k model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brendon - Burning Flame schrieb:

Any update on this from Adobe?

Come on Adobe, you take our monthly subscriptions for CC or are you going to offer a reduced CC subscription for iMac Retina owners...

I need a new iMac & looks like I will need to get the non 5k model.

You have read post #125 in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

The question relates to "An Update on The Issue" or do you expect me to buy an iMac 5K to find the answer?

Is the issue resolved with the fix as suggested in #125

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hows this coming along? Any progress being made on a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently out of the office but will be back in on: Friday

01/05/15.

If you have any urgent queries, please contact:

Karl:

karl@reddeurope.com

Brienne: brienne@reddeurope.com

Elliot:

elliot@reddeurope.com

Manish: manish@reddeurope.com

Kind

regards,

Jay

t. 01664 454 007

f. 01664 454 004

e.

jay@reddeurope.com

w. www.reddeurope.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spoke with Apple Tech Support & they have suggested that we try run the screen res at 720P or 2560 x 1440...

Can anyone confirm this is an actual temp fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently out of the office but will be back in on: Friday

01/05/15.

If you have any urgent queries, please contact:

Karl:

karl@reddeurope.com

Brienne: brienne@reddeurope.com

Elliot:

elliot@reddeurope.com

Manish: manish@reddeurope.com

Kind

regards,

Jay

t. 01664 454 007

f. 01664 454 004

e.

jay@reddeurope.com

w. www.reddeurope.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lower the resolution is not a solution. We paid for a great screen resolution, any other retina app is running perfectly fine, Adobe apps don't.

My 5K iMac with 4GHz, SSD, 295X 4Gb isn't enough to runs smoothly Illustrator? Please...

Adobe is a f*king big international company, no excuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I agree with what your are saying.

But my question is - Will the Adobe Software work on a 5K iMac if the res is dropped to 2560 x1440?

I need a new machine & if I need to work at this res I will until they get there act together. I am sure as hell not going back to the likes of a Dell, I am simply looking for a work around so I can continue to work & earn a living.

I also agree that Adobe has its priorities completely wrong & that they need to focus on where there core income is derived from... & not put energy into hair brain apps that none of use really use due to them not working correctly either.

ADOBE - FIX YOUR CORE APPLICATIONS THAT YOUR PROFESSIONAL CLIENTS USE TO MAKE A LIVING & STOP WASTING RESOURCES ON FLIGHT OF FANCY APPS THAT DON'T MEAN AS MUCH TO THE VISUAL COMMUNITY!

You are the industry leader & are leaving the door open to new players in your limited market, someone will surely kick your door in & take your prize.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help you Mac users. I was having this same problem: laggy zooming...almost unbearable, decreasing window size would improve the zooming, but not fix it. I came to this thread seeking help.

I have a Windows machine with a Xeon 2643 processor, 32 GB RAM, and an Nvidia K5000 GPU. Plenty of power for 5k, and the document I was working on was an 8.5x11 document.

Anyway, I solved my problem by going into Preferences> GPU Performance, and nchecking the Animated Zoom setting. Not sure if Mac users have this option, but this seemed to solve it for me. Good luck guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying to help Jamie.

Unfortunately, the Mac version does not have GPU Performance preferences (yet).

It sounds like Adobe is testing GPU-accelerated options for Mac in a beta test, but we haven't heard any update on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2015 Jun 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tested El Capitan on their iMac? Apple/Adobe say with Metal Illustrator runs up to 70% faster. Better rendering e.g. I was wondering if this works out of the box or if it needs an Illustrator update that supports Metal. If it works out of the box I would risk to install El Capitan beta on my iMac.

Edit: Couldn't wait for anyone else to test it since it's almost impossible to work with the current version of Illustrator. So, I installed the El Capitan beta. What can I say...?

It's better, for sure. Still pretty choppy and in comparison to Affinity Designer it still sucks hard. I really hope that Adobe gets their shit together and make this software useable on retina iMacs. Right now, with El Capitan you get a few improvements when it comes to draw paths. Zooming in and out is still horrible. Everything else is still choppy as hell. Next tuesday Adobe is presenting CC 2015 here in Berlin. Let's just hope they can fix this and support Metal to 100% or maybe just use new rendering techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2015 Jun 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not on Metal, yet. Federighi said (penultimate paragraph) Adobe and Apple are working together to make this happen for the general release this Fall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to CC 2015, performance seems unchanged on retina iMac. Adobe, transparency from your end would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeanJM,

I just updated to CC 2015 and Illustrator is back to being snappy, responsive, and smooth on a 5k Retina iMac!

After installation, a pop-up of "Compatible GPU detected" auto-enabled the new Mac GPU settings.

If this didn't automatically happen for you, go to:

Illustrator CC > Preferences > GPU Performance - and check the box labeled "GPU Performance".

Thank you to the Adobe team for getting the engine updated!

I can safely recommend Creative Cloud to 5K Retina iMac users now.

Edit: This was using the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines